Friday, November 2, 2012

Truly, Novelling = hard. But on a side note, Trolls!

I'm not even going to try and find the last time I posted, and I'm also doing NaNoWriMo (or just 'Nano', the long title is a bit obnoxious...) so it's anyone's guess wether I'll be posting more (not difficult) or less (unlikely, given the trend) than I have in the last few months.  So instead, here are the lists I'll be using tonight against pGrexy!

The first list is the one I used last week - it seems to work well, and while I'm tempted to drop the Pyre and Bomber for a Mauler and Axer, I want a bit more experience with this iteration before considering that.

The second list is my new list, this one with Grim Angus - here's the initial list I came up with:

Grim Angus (*6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Pyg Bushwackers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)
Troll Whelps (2pts)

This one comes out 2pts short, so I've got a few options:
 - 2nd unit of Whelps (always useful)
 - Swap Earthborn for Mulg
 - drop Bushwackers to min, add in Krielstone Bearer + Stone Scribes
 - drop the Runebearer and add a unit of Runeshapers

Of these options, 1 and 2 are the most appealing -- a Grim army is going to be fairly mobile and hard-hitting by default and (I predict) is going to spread out a lot, so the Krielstone Bearer isn't the best support for him. The Runeshapers are a fun unit (not to mention some of the most impressively detailed troll models to date - me wants to paints them, precious....), and could be VERY useful in throwing around Knockdown left and right, but it's not really something that Grim needs.

Grim could use some extra fury management (he doesn't have much, and is only Fury 6), but since this army is intended to be more of an aggressive beatstick to complement Calandra's attrition machine above, Mulg offers a LOT more options. Since I already have 2 different movement bonuses in the list (Grim and the Axer) to offset his abysmal 4" movement, I'm not too worried about him lagging behind. 

I'm going to throw caution to the wind this time around and try out Mulg. 

Here are the 50pt lists for tonight:

Grim Angus (*6pts)
* Troll Axer (6pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
* Mulg the Ancient (12pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Pyg Bushwackers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)
Troll Whelps (2pts)

Job - Be aggressive, get the first strike in.
Strengths -  Good vs beast/jack heavy lists; good shooting
Weaknesses - none that I can think of... yet


Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood (*5pts)
* Pyre Troll (5pts)
* Troll Impaler (5pts)
* Dire Troll Bomber (10pts)
* Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)
* Trollkin Runebearer (2pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 5 Stone Scribes (4pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Fennblades (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Trollkin Fennblade Officer & Drummer (2pts)
Fell Caller Hero (3pts)
Janissa Stonetide (3pts)
Troll Whelps (2pts)

Job - Attrition game, drawing the enemy in before popping her feat and killing everything! 
Strengths - Good vs troops, good ranged threat, great at denial.
Weaknesses - Trouble vs high ARM, difficulty dealing with massed beast/jack lists

We shall see which one gets to go tonight. Hopefully we'll see another battle report coming up!


EDIT: after reviewing Grim's spell list, the one apparent weakness I found with that list is, in fact, debunked. He's got a lot of options against high-DEF. I'm just crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Bwahaha! Metagaming ahoy! Just kidding. I've already decided what I'll use for my pMorghoul list tonight. I will tell you that my other 'lock is probably going to be pHexeris or pMakeda, because it has been too long.

    ReplyDelete