Sunday, February 17, 2013

Battle Report - Hexeris 1 vs Kreoss 3 (50pts)

I got two games in the other day - one at 35pts, and one at 50pts.  Here's the 50pt game.

I played pHexeris, because he's a lot of fun, and because I already had the list I wanted to use with him.  Here's the list:

Lord Tyrant Hexeris (+6)
*Bronzeback Titan (10)
*Titan Cannoneer (9)
*Titan Gladiator (8)
*Archidon (7)
*Cyclops Savage (5)
*Aptimus Marketh (3)

10 Praetorian Swordsmen (6)
*Officer and Standard Bearer (2)
4 Paingiver Beast Handlers (2)

Extoller Soulward (2)
Agonizer (2)

It's a Tier 1 Kingdom of Shadows list, so Hexeris would start with Death March on the Swordsmen and Soul Slave on the Archidon.

It has a lot of hitting power in the Titan herd, although super heavy armor will still give it trouble.  It's pretty flexible with the Cannoneer's gun and Hexeris' spells.  I decided to run the Savage instead of the Krea this time, because I really like the idea of Prescience on Hexeris.  He really wants to sling a lot of offensive magic, and really wants to be as Fury-efficient as possible, especially with Soulfire.  The Krea's paralytic beam and Animus are great though, so we'll see what I'm giving up.

My opponent, Ted, ran the following:

Intercessor Kreoss (+5)
*Templar (8)
*Reckoner (8)
*Redeemer (6)

5 Exemplar Vengers (11)
10 Exemplar Errants (8)
*Officer and Standard Bearer (2)
4 Choir of Menoth (2)

High Exemplar Gravus (5)
Saxon Orrick (2)
Vassal of Menoth (2)
3 Wracks (1)

This looks like a hard-hitting list which can play a ranged or assault game pretty well.  Kreoss 3 can make his army hit hard, move fast, and be almost completely impervious to spells.  The 'jack selection looks good, and the units will be able to do a lot of damage while taking a decent amount of punishment.  This is my first game against Kreoss 3, so we'll see how it goes.


Deployment

We played with timed 10min turns and an SR 2013 scenario to practice for tournaments.  The scenario was the one with a single small control zone in the middle of the table surrounded by 4 monoliths.  I'd be trying to destroy the monoliths on my opponent's side, and he'd be trying to destroy the monoliths on my side.  Kill Box is also a thing in this scenario.

- Total aside, but I kind of like the new Kill Box.  Yes, it's very small, but handing over a control point is a much fairer price to pay for leaving your 'caster outside the Kill Box than just losing.  -

Terrain was pretty even.  There were a few forests and scattered around the battlefield which wouldn't have a big impact on a center scenario like this one, and one hill very slightly to one side of the control zone.  There were also a couple of houses and a low wall.

I won the roll off, and chose to go second.  I also chose the table side opposite the hill, mostly because I was already on that side of the table.

Ted deployed the Vengers and Gravus in a block on my center-left, the 'jacks in the middle with their Choir and Vassal in tow, and Kreoss on the right to take advantage of the wall.

I deployed my army in a tight formation with the Swordsmen and Archidon in front, the Titans and Savage behind them, and Hexeris and the support in the third row.  The Cannoneer and Gladiator were deployed centrally, while I put the Bronzeback on the right to put some pressure on Kreoss if I broke through the line.

My opponent then set up Saxon on the right flank, and the Errants in the middle near the zone.  The Wracks also went on the right near Kreoss.


Turn 1 - Protectorate

Everything ran except Kreoss and the Choir.  The Choir used the Hymn of Shielding to protect the warjacks from spells.  Kreoss advanced to the wall, and cast Ignite on the Errants, and tried to cast Holy Ward on the Vengers, but was just out of range.

A pretty good setup for my opponent.  If everything had worked out for him, nearly all of his army would be completely untargetable by spells.  As it was, I'd be able to target all the Cav (Kreoss included) this turn, but this kind of mass immunity can really mess with pHexeris' game.


Turn 1 - Skorne

I ran with almost everything.  The Archidon hid behind one of my Monoliths for protection from the Vengers.  The lead Swordsmen toed into the zone to throw down with the Errants next turn.  Marketh shot the Swordsmen standard bearer in the back to give Hexeris extra fury, and he cast Obliteration twice at one of the Vengers.  It fell far short, but the AoE's landed on the Errants, and killed one.

Hmm....  Spellslinging....  Well, with 7 Fury, Hexeris is pretty effective Rushbot at least.  Otherwise, I was in a decent position to contest the zone and play attrition if the Swordsmen did well enough against the Errants.


Turn 2 - Protectorate

Kreoss is feeling pretty safe behind that wall.
Kreoss used Ride By Attack to pop out from behind the wall, cast Holy Ward on the Vengers, put up Warpath, and scoot back into cover.  The Exemplars charged, killing 4 of the front Swordsmen and damaging the Archidon.  The Vengers and Gravus advanced to better positions.  The Choir sang a Hymn of Shielding again.  The Redeemer took a shot at my Swordsmen, but didn't kill anyone.

The situation was looking alright.  The Swordsmen were in good condition, and the Errants were close enough together after their charge that I'd probably be able to take them out.


Turn 2 - Skorne

The Swordsmen killed 2 Errants with their Vengeance attacks, and got into a better position to take out the rest of them.  Hexeris dropped both his spells, then he advanced, threw 3 Fury onto the Agonizer, and Feated.  Marketh advanced, and cast Death March on the Swordsmen.  They advanced deep into the Zone, used Perfect Strike to automatically damage warrior models, and killed all the remaining Errants except the Standard Bearer with a little help from Hexeris' Feat.  Most of the Beasts ran to just in front of the Zone.  The Cannoneer took a shot at Gravus.  She missed, but the shot scattered right onto 2 of the Choir, though only one died.  The Agonizer used Spiritual Afflition and ran up to Focus-block the Reckoner.

Things were looking pretty good now.  I would probably lose most of the Swordsmen next turn, and give up a Control point or 2 depending on the monoliths, but my Titans were right next to the Zone, and ready to go.


Turn 3 - Protectorate

Kreoss upkept all his spells, and gave 2 Focus to the Redeemer.  The Vengers charged the Swordsmen and one of the monoliths, killing a bunch of Swordsmen and doing some serious damage to the monolith.  The Choir sang the Hymn of Battle to give the 'jacks +2 to attack and damage rolls.  The Redeemer aimed, and killed some more Swordsmen.  The Reckoner walked forward and killed the Agonizer, and the Templar just walked forward.  Gravus charged and killed the last remaining Swordsman in the zone, leaving just one of them pretty far back.  Saxon shot and killed a Paingiver.

One Control Point for Ted, but my beasts were about to charge in.


Turn 3 - Skorne

All 'beasts crowd into the control zone.
The Paingivers Enraged the Gladiator, Cannoneer, and Archidon, then Hexeris moved up, and cast Train Wreck on the Gladiator and Cannoneer, and Rush on the Bronzeback, and camped 3.  The Extoller tried to put snipe off a Venger, but did 0 damage.  The Gladiator Beat Back through 1 of the Vengers, and dismounted Gravus.  The Cannoneer killed another Venger, and finished off Gravus.  The Archidon charged the Templar, and did some damage.  The Bronzeback advanced, and killed the last Venger in the zone.

A good round of damage for the Titans, and all my heavies were in the control zone.  My opponent would have his work cut out for him to keep control of the scenario.  Now I'd be playing for attrition and a scenario win.


Turn 4 - Protectorate

Kreoss upkept his spells, and allocated 3 to the Templar.  The Choir sang the Hymn of Battle again.  The Templar killed the Archidon, and Beat Back through a lot of the Gladiator's hit points.  The Reckoner advanced up my right flank, and shot down a Paingiver.  The remaining 2 Vengers used Ride By Attack to do a little more damage to the left monolith while repositioning for a charge on my left flank.  The Redeemer aimed and shot at Hexeris.  It did some damage, which he transferred.  The Vassal gave it an Ancillary Attack at Hexeris, which missed, and did no damage.  The Errant Standard Bearer ran to block off my Bronzeback.

It was looking pretty good for me at this point.  I'd be able to take the zone next turn, and then my opponent would be responding to my moves.


Turn 4 - Skorne

The 2 surviving Paingivers Enraged the Gladiator and Bronzeback.  Hexeris healed the Gladiator's mind, cast Train Wreck on it, and charged one of the Vengers in range.  He killed it, and Beat Back a little to be well in CTRL of the control zone.  The Gladiator reduced the Templar to a few boxes, and the Cannoneer finished it off.  The Bronzeback Trampled over the Errant, killing it, and then killed the Redeemer and damaged the right monolith with bought attacks.  The Extoller shot the surviving Venger, but did only 1 damage.  The Savage declared a charge against the right Monolith, but I timed out just as it finished its move.

It was then that I realized that my injured Savage (from the transfer) was my only beast with any open Fury slots, and was right in front of the whole Protectorate army.  My only consolation was that Hexeris was pretty far out on the left side of the battle, and that only three attacks could potentially reach him.


Turn 5 - Protectorate

Ted had a pretty good angle on Hexeris.  Kreoss gave the Reckoner 2 Focus.  The Choir sang the Hymn of Battle for the Reckoner.  Then Kreoss charge the Savage, killed it, and Feated, putting Ignite on himself.  He directed the rest of his attacks against the Bronzeback, but didn't quite kill it.  The Reckoner advanced, and took a boosted shot at Hexeris, but missed!  The Vassal advanced to Ancillary Attack the Reckoner, but was just an inch out of range.

It was all on the Venger.  It charged Hexeris, and missed with its Impact attack, but hit with its Lance.  Then it rolled tripple 6's for 16 damage to Hexeris.  Fortunately for me, Hexeris has 17 hit boxes.  Phew!
Still there... barely.


Turn 5 - Skorne

Exhale.  I healed the Bronzeback, and it killed Kreoss.

Victory to the Skorne!


Thoughts

This was a great game.  I did make a huge mistake that almost cost me the game when I forgot to leave a transfer target open for Hexeris besides the Savage.  Bad rolls had forced me to max out both the Cannoneer and Gladiator, but I'd bought an attack against the monolith with the Bronzeback that I hadn't needed to, and I could have transferred to it.  Luckily, Ted's dice were also not great for his assassination run, but I really need to keep those transfers open.  Otherwise, I played a pretty solid game.  I took care of the Errants well with my Swordsmen and Hexeris' feat, and thoroughly occupied the zone with my beasts.  Kreoss had had to risk himself to stop me from winning on scenario.  This might have been one of the tougher matchups for pHexeris.  Having so much of my opponent's army untargettable by spells really limited the strategy I normally like to use for him.  The scenario worked to my advantage, however.  There was just one smallish zone in the middle, and I was able to clear out Ted's Weapon Master infantry and most of his cavalry to control it with my Titans.

I like the list with the Savage, although Prescience didn't really get the chance to shine.  The Basilisk Krea's Paralytic Aura could have been big this game, as a lot of the Protectorate army had ranged weapons.  I also missed having the max Paingiver Beast handlers from the extra point I save with the Krea.  Ted was savvy enough to snipe them out whenever he had the chance, and I was missing the ability to Enrage and/or Condition all my beasts (which would have made it a lot easier to leave transfers open on the last turn).

Ted made a few tactical mistakes that we talked about after the game.  On his third turn, he sacrificed most of his Vengers and Gravus to clear out the Swordsmen and score a control point, which wasn't worth the trade.  The cavalry should have hung back or run around the flank, and charged the Titans when they had the chance.  They could have done a lot of damage to the biggest chunk of my army.  Ted also pointed out that if he'd Feated right away with Kreoss to get the damage boost from Ignite, and charged the Bronzeback, he could very well have killed both the Bronzeback and the Savage, and possibly lived through his turn.  Ted did well to keep the pressure up on my support models with shooting.  A 2-model Paingiver unit is nowhere near as effective as a 4-models unit, and the Agonizer would have shut his 'jacks down harshly if he'd let it live.

In terms of his list, I'm not much of an expert.  Ted said he really likes the Vengers - and I can definitely see their potential - but isn't sure about Gravus.  If he'd hung back with Gravus and the Vengers on turn 3, Gravus might have been more effective.  He certainly could have done some nasty damage to my Titans with the Soul Tokens he was collecting.  Ted also mentioned the possibility of taking a Guardian instead of a Templar.  The Guardian is a heavy 'jack with an Arc Node, and I'd say a warcaster with Kreoss' offensive spells (Death Sentence, Crevasse, and Force Hammer) certainly wants an Arc Node.  If the Templar stays in the list, I'd even say Ted should consider replacing the Redeemer with a Revenger just to have one.

Thanks for a great game Ted!


Ok, I just like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment