Thursday, January 10, 2013

Journeyman Week 1

I guess if I don’t post multiple times per month my cohorts will forget about me. Charming. Well, get ready to be forcibly reminded of my existence because I’m going to be posting once per week for the next six weeks as I conquer this Journeyman League in the name of Everblight.

I’m sure you’re all familiar with what the Legion battlebox contains, but in case you’ve never heard of this “warmachine” thing before here’s the rundown:

  • Lylyth, arcane archer extraordinaire. If she shoots you with her bow terrible things are going to happen to you. Terrible things like...
  • Shredders, little toothy guys who are happy to meet you. And then eat you. Technically Lylyth’s bow shoots arrows but in practice it fires these rabid little shark-goblins.
  • Godzilla Carnivean, the monstrous result of crossing a Tyrannosaurus Rex with forearms. It also has a very powerful, very inaccurate spray.

My main strategy this first week was to tag something I wanted to kill with Lylyth, Parasite it, and then charge it with a couple rabid Shredders. The Carnivean could also spray it (and possibly an unlucky Shredder) if needed and charge any survivors on the next turn. If they wanted to retaliate against the Shredders, then that put them in charge range of the rest of my army. What this let me do was take my enemies apart piece by piece, which worked really nicely since you win Mangled Metal/Tooth and Claw games when you kill all of your opponents jacks/beasts.


This technique did run a little hot on the old fury though. Out of five games, the only one in which I never had a beast frenzy was against Cygnar, because the Charger kept killing Shredders before they could freak out.

But winning games isn’t everything. There’s also the hobby aspect, and at the risk of sounding like a sociopath, I’d like to win that too. Now, I already have about 25 points of Legion painted from when I flirted with them a year ago. On the one hand, great, I love playing with painted models. On the other hand, that’s a fair amount of hobby points that I can’t claim. So I’ll need to paint models that I won’t be using during the league. I’ll probably need to paint a lot of them. Hardly the end of the world though, as I rather enjoy painting Legion.

Anyway, I’m 5 and 0 and got exactly nothing painted this week, so here are my current totals:

Game Points: 15
Hobby Points: 0
Journeyman Points: 15

Next week: fury management.

No comments:

Post a Comment