Sunday, July 1, 2012

Starting it up With Mordikaar

A couple of posts ago, I talked about starting up with Mordikaar and eHexeris.  I'm going to try Mordikaar fist, because I've been running very beast heavy with pMorghoul, and I'd be running beast heavy with eHexy too.  I've decided to change up my list a smidge to this:

Void Seer Mordikaar (+5)
*Titan Sentry (9)
*Basilisk Drake (4)
*Basilisk Krea (4)

10 Praetorian Swordsmen (6)
*Officer and Standard (2)
6 Cataphract Cetrati (11)
4 Paingiver Beast Handlers (2)

Void Spirit (2)

I swapped out the Cannoneer for the Sentry for 3 reasons.  First, so I could take both Paingivers (vital in a list with a possible weakness to heavies) and a Void Spirit (because come *on* it's Mordikaar).  This also sets me up to potentially swap out the Cetrati for some Arcuarii and a second Void Spirit, which would be a very cool changeup for the list.

My second reason is that I take the Cannoneer a lot.  It's a great beast for me, it meshes very well with my playstyle, and I often miss it when I don't take it.  But I don't want to become reliant on it.  Starting up with new casters is a good opportunity to branch out with my playstyle.

My last reason is so that I can be an ass with the ol' Void Spirit plus Locker gag.  Basically, I put Locker on the Sentry, and Trample it up.  Then I run my incorporeal Void Spirit right between the Sentry and any beasts or jacks able to charge it.  Unless they have reach, they can't charge the Sentry directly, because the Void Spirit's in the way.  They also can't charge at an angle because they'll stop as soon as they hit the Sentry's melee range.  Reach gets around it, and of course magic attacks can remove the Void Spirit, but if it works?  Instant defense from warjacks and beasts across the Sentry's 6" melee arc.

Rather than posting my teamwork scheme for this list before I get some experience with him, I'll do a quick review of Mordikaar's spells and abilities, and how I plan to use them.

Spells:

Banishing Ward:  Spell immunity and defensive upkeep removal.  I won't cast it every game, but against things lings like Druids it'll be golden.  When it does come into play, I'll probably use it on the Sentry in most cases, and the Cetrati occasionally to protect them from movement shenanigans and stuff like Crippling Grasp and Curse of Shadows.

Hollow:  Undead, Tough, and a Soul collection mechanic to fuel Cull Soul.  It's Mordikaar's workhorse spell.  It'll spend most of the time on the Swordsmen, who are pretty expendable individually, and who benefit from Tough for jamming.

Essence Blast:  My key removal spell.  I'll probably drop hollow and use Swordsmen for most of my aggressive turns, ans recast Hollow after Essence Blasting if I can.  This is going to be good both for clearing infantry and sniping solos.

Revive:  This will mainly target my Cetrati, making them very difficult get rid of completely.  Against most things, I'll just revive them in Shield Wall, and have the advance and attack with their unit for the extra toughness.  Against heavies, I'll revive them in good charge positions.

Ghost Walk:  And I have a way to grant Pathfinder!  But Ghostly does more than that.  It makes the target immune to free strikes, which will be good for walking stuff like my Swordsmen and Cetrati through jamming screens, and trampling without fear with my Sentry.

Feat - Void Wind:  Straightforward and solid, a good Def buff and Poltergeist.  It'll be a good thing to do either right before, or right after my forces and the enemy's meet.  It works very well with the Sentry's Set Defense, and the Krea's Paralytic Aura.

The other things I'll take into account are Void Lord and Death Blast.  I'm taking a Void Spirit, but I'll be keeping it in my CTRL for the boost to attack rolls.  It's a little different from the way I've played Void Spirits in the past, where they range further afield to hunt down solos and things.  Fortunately, Mordikaar has a decent-sized control area for the one I'm taking.

Death Blast hopefully won't be used too much.  If Mordikaar is close enough to shoot the enemy, he is likely in trouble.  But it's an AoE with decent Power that heals Mordikaar when it kills a dude, so I'll keep it in mind.
I'm hoping to get a couple of games in tomorrow, which is a Warmachine/Hordes day at my LGS.

No comments:

Post a Comment