Monday, July 9, 2012

3 Games in With my Attrition Experiment

Well, I played three games with my Attrition List last week, and lost all of them.

:)

These were all against more experienced players using factions I don't normally face, and ignorance about my opponents' capabilities was definitely as much a factor in my defeats as their superior experience and skill.  All the games were a lot of fun, and made me think a little harder about the list, its advantages, and its shortcomings.  I'll do three brief battle reports, then look at my attrition list again, and rethink my strategy with it in my next post.

Game 1: pMakeda vs Jarl Skuld

I ran my attrition list under Makeda:
Archdomina Makeda (+5)
*Titan Cannoneer (9)         6 Cataphract Cetrati (11)                       Ancestral Guardian (3)
*Titan Gladiator (8)           10 Praetorian Swordsmen (6)                 Ancestral Guardian (3)
*Basilisk Krea (4)              *Officer and Standard (2)                      Extoller Soulward (2)
                                       Tyrant Commander and Standard (3)      Agonizer (2)
                                       4 Paingiver Beast Handlers (2)


My Opponent, Dan, ran the following:
Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood (+6)
*Dire Troll Bomber (10)        5 Long Riders (11)            Horthol, Long Rider Champion (5)
*Earthborn Dire Troll (10)     4 Kriel Stone Scribes (3)    Janessa Stonetide (3)
*Swamp Troll (4)                                                         Fell Caller Hero (3)
*Troll Impaler (5)
*Rune Bearer (2)

I won the roll off, and chose to go second.

Turn 1 - Trollbloods
Dan ran pretty much everything forward, put Tactical Supremacy on Jarl, and Quicken on the Long Riders.  He placed the bulk of his forces around a house, screening it from my warbeasts.  His Bomber was creeping around one flank, gunning for my Gladiator and Cannoneer, while his other warbeasts went around toward the bulk of my infantry.  The Long Riders advanced on my far right flank.  Finally, Jarl advanced again with Tactical Supremacy.

Turn 1 - Skorne
I ran the swordsmen forward a little, keeping the Ancestral Guardians behind them.  The plan was to jam Long Riders on the next turn while my heavier stuff attacked the rest of Dan's army.  Neither my beasts nor my Cetrati could take a bunch slams, but the Swordsmen.  Makeda Dropped 4 Fury onto the Agonizer, cast Savagery on the Cetrati, used her feat to return any Sworsmen who got killed, and advanced onto a hill behind the Swordsmen.  The Tyrant Commander put Press Forward on the Cetrati, and ran to just ahead of Makeda.  The Agonizer ran, staying between the Cetrati and the beasts.  I made two serious mistakes with my warbeasts.  First, I'd advanced Makeda out of control range of the Gladiator.  Second, I took Dan's bait, and sent both my heavies against his Bomber, diverting them away from the bulk of the fight.  I advanced the Paingivers, and Enraged the Gladiator.  The Gladiator Rushed the Cannoneer, Trampled the Paingiver who Enraged it, but made it back into Makeda's Control area.  The Cannoneer ran.  The Krea advanced, and used Paralytic Aura to protect the heavies.

Turn 2 - Trollbloods
Jarl upkept both spells.  The Swamp Troll advanced, and tried to drag in a Cetrati, but failed to do damage.  Janessa advanced, and cast Rock Wall right in front of the Swamp Troll.  The Earthborn advanced to just behind the wall.  The Bomber advanced, and threw a couple of bombs at my warbeasts (trying to get my Paingivers), but they scattered harmlessly.  The Impaler Advanced, and put Far Strike on Jarl, then the Rune Bearer used Harmonious Exaltation.  Jarl advanced, cast Magic Bullet on himself for 1 Fury, then unloaded into the Tyrant Commander, doing no damage... to him.  The Pow 12's from Magic Bullet careened into Makeda, doing 10 damage with some nasty rolls.  Jarl then Feated, throwing a bunch of clouds between my army and his.

Turn 3 - Combined
I advanced through the Clouds powered by Savagery on the Cetrati, and later on the Swordsmen, and got a bunch of attacks in against the Long Riders, Swamp Troll and Earthborn.  I swapped Defender's Ward onto the Cetrati after they moved.  My Cannoneer, benefiting from Guidance, put a shot at his Bomber, but missed anyway.  The Titans in general continued to be distracted by the bomber.


On Jarl's turn, the Bomber and Jarl both managed to get line of sight to Makeda (who was only camping 1 Fury).  She was too badly wounded from the previous turn to live through it.

Thoughts
Well, I didn't see Magic Bullet coming, that's for sure.  The defense against it is pretty simple, but hurts for a mid-to-front line Warlock like pMakeda: stay at least 4.5" away from allies.  I did make some positioning mistakes with my titans.  The Cetrati brick might have held the center, but they weren't going to kill off the multiple beasts lined up against them.  Having my beasts in there would have made that more manageable.  I also probably should have camped more Fury overall.  Makeda has some trouble topping up the Agonizer, running her upkeeps, and wanting to cast Carnage on turns 2 and up.


Game 2: pHexeris vs eDoomshaper

Undeterred, I ran the list a second time.  I was torn about who to use next, but I picked pHexy over Xerxis.


Dan went with:
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia (+6)
*Mulg the Ancient (12)           6 Kriel Stone Bearers (4)      5 Whelps (2)
*Earthborn Dire Troll (10)       *Stone Scribe Elder (1)       5 Whelps (2)
*Dire Troll Mauler (9)            6 Trollkin Scouts (5)
*Troll Axer (6)                      6 Pyg Bushwhackers (5)

Apparently, this is a popular tournament list.  It was certainly effective.

Dan won the roll off, and went first.

Turn 1 - Combined
Dan Ran everybody except Doomie, who advanced, and put Refuge on the Earthborn, and Wild Aggression on Mulg.  The Bushwhackers were way out on the left flank.  Most of the beasts clustered up around the building to avoid any cannon fire.

On my turn, I advanced, cast Soul Slave on the Cannoneer, and Death March on the Swordsmen.  The Swordsmen advanced to catch a charger from the Scouts.  The Cetrati and warbeasts were bricked up a little back from them and to the side.  This was my big mistake of Game 2.  I didn't know what eDoomie's feat did.  I could have asked, but I usually just like to roll with things.

Turn 2 -Trollbloods
There was a lot of Rushing and Feating and having the KSB give +1 to Strength on the Trollkin side of the table.  Then the Earthborn charged in and killed both my heavies.  Whoops.  The Mauler ran around the building, Mulg loomed up behind the Earthborn, and the Scouts bounced off the lead Swordsmen I'd left out as bait.

I gallantly struggled onward for another round, Hexy actually killing the Mauler single handed and Vampiric Reaving all its Fury.  Then Mulg came along, and slammed him out of melee.  At that point I had no beasts left, and Hexy was staring down Mulg and most of the Earthborn, so I decided to concede.

Thoughts
Another game, another lesson.  This one I really should have seen coming, and screened my beasts with infantry.  It didn't help that with pHexeris (like pMakeda) my list struggles a little to deal with heavies.  Cetrati are tough, and hit moderately hard, but they don't have the spot removal of a Bronzeback.


Game 3: Xerxis vs. Nemo 3

This time, I went with Xerxis.

My opponent, Nick, took (to the best of my recollection):
Artificer-General Nemo (+3?)
*Stormwall (18?)     6 Stormblades (5)                   Stormsmith Storm Caller (1)  Storm Strider (9)
*Lancer (6)             *Officer and Standard (3)        Stormsmith Storm Caller (1)
*Caitlin Finch (-)     *3 Storm Gunners (3)              Stormsmith Storm Caller (1)
                              Stormsmith Storm Tower (2)   
                              Stormsmith Storm Tower (2)

There was another model with a spray, but I don't remember which it was.

Turn 1 - Skorne
I advanced everything with the Swordsmen out in front, the AG's, Cetrati, and warbeasts all pretty much on a line in the second rank.  Xerxis put Defender's Ward on the Cetrati, and Furny on one of the Ancestral Guardians, then put one point of Fury on the Agonizer.


Turn 1 - Cygnar
Nick advanced a little faster, running most of his models.  Nemo put his defensive spell (+2 Arm and doesn't suffer the effect of destroyed systems) on the Stormwall, and advanced.  The Stormwall put out one of its pods.

Turn 2 - Skorne
I started by upkeeping Fury, but I dropped Defender's Ward.  I'd be leading with the Swordsmen, and they're significantly better at jamming with Defender's Ward than without it.  The Stormblades were out of the Swordsmens' charge range, so I ran with them instead.  One AG killed the Stormwall pod, and the other moved in behind the Swordsmen.  The Xerxis/Cetrati brick advanced, and Xerxis used Paralytic Aura, and cast Defender's Ward on the Swordsmen.  The beast formation also advanced, with the Krea using Paralytic Aura to protect the heavies.


Turn 2 - Cygnar
Nemo upkept his spell, and the rest of the army advanced again.  The Storm Towers tried to shoot my Cannoneer, but they were out of range.  The Lancer advanced on the Cetrati, and Nemo channeled a knockdown spell on them and Xerxis.  The Stormwall opened up on Xerxis, but his Arm 20 kept him safe.  The Stormwall also laid down 2 suppressive fire AoE's in front of my Swordsmen, blocking their charge lines on the Stormblades, who advanced again, and missed the Swordsmen with a couple ranged attacks.  The Stormcallers got two swordsmen with Pow 10 lightning using the Stormwall's pod as a triangulation vector.

Turn 3 - Skorne
Xerxis upkept both his spells.  Xerxis went first, using Press Forward on the Cetrati, and charging the Stormwall's pod, killing it, then using Paralytic Aura.  The Cetrati advanced around Xerxis.  The Tyrant Commander used Press Forward on the Swordsmen, and charged the Lancer, as much to engage it as anything, and missed.  The Swordsmen used Perfect Strike, walked around the Suppressive Fire templates, and sliced through several Stormblades.  The Cannoneer shot at a Storm Caller, but it scattered onto some Stormblades, who fled.  The AG with Fury on it charged the Lancer, and hit, doing minor damage.  The Agonizer used Spiritual Affliction, and ran to within 4" of both the Stormwall and the Lancer.

Turn 3 - Cygnar
There was little for Nick to do this turn.  He killed the Agonizer with shooting, and killed off most of the Swordsmen with the Storm Towers and Storm Callers.  The Stormwall killed the AG without Fury, and the Lancer killed the Tyrant Commander.  Nemo camped a lot of Fury to prevent a ranged assassination from the Cannoneer next turn.

Turn 4 - Skorne
This turn, Xerxis dropped his upkeeps.  Xerxis activated first, cast Fury on the Cetrati, Feated, and charged the Stormwall for minor damage, then camped 2 Fury.  The Ancestral Guardian finished the Lancer, and destroyed the Stormwall's Lightning Pod blocking my Cetrati from charging in.  The Cetrati charged the Stormwall, bunching up around Xerxis to protect him with the +2 Arm from his Feat.  The Stormwall died, leaving a huge wreck marker.  The Swordsmen focussed on taking out the remaining Stormblades and engaging the Storm Callers.

Turn 4 - Cygnar
This turn, Nemo Feated, then everything in Nick's army shot lightning at the Cetrati and Xerxis, first taking out the two Cetrati protecting Xerxis, then frying him with boosted Power 10-12 damage rolls until he died.  Victory for Cygnar.

Thoughts
I played the list a lot better this game, partly because I was more used to it, and partly because Xerxis doesn't struggle with heavy armor no matter how few beasts he takes.  I actually really liked having the flexibility of multiple cheaper AG's with the crazy damage potential available through Xerxis' feat.  Praetorian Swordsmen really are annoying under Defender's Ward.  It gives them enough Def to be hard for infantry to hit, and enough Arm that Pow 10 lightning won't kill them every hit.

All in all, 3 great games against awesome opponents.  In the next day or so, I'll post my overall strategy with the Attrition list, and I might make some slight alterations.

5 comments:

  1. If you don't tell us what your other two lists were these aren't very helpful.

    Also you mentioned that you were struggling with not having enough Fury with pMak. That's why Marketh is pretty autoinclude with her. Allows her to cycle spells like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Marketh is next on my purchase list. I like playing without him, since it forces me to think harder about positioning, but pMakeda is one of my favorite 'locks, and he adds a whole new dimension of play with her.

    I used the exact same list in each game, playing a point down with pHexeris. The Attrition experiment I'm referring to is actually a single army list I'm trying under Xerxis, pMakeda and pHexeris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, the post has been updated with a link back to the Attrition post I'm referencing.

      Delete
  3. I don't get why you're running the same list for each warlock rather than building the list to work with the warlock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just an experiment for casual games. My usual 50pt lists for those casters are pretty similar, so I decided to give it a try. I'll still be trying it out on and off.

      Hexeris and pMakeda usually have a Bronzeback instead of some of the support, and Xerxis usually has some Venators to take better advantage of Inhospitable Ground. Hexy also drops the Tyrant Commander to get his Tier 1 KoS bonus.

      Delete