Wednesday, July 16, 2014

NFL League Game 6: Something something Molik Karn (Skorne vs.Convergence - 50pts)

Pre-Game Thoughts

I'm getting caught up with my league games this week, and I had another one recently against Josh and his Convergence.  My earlier league game against Convergence taught me to respect their threat ranges, and I already know they can both run and break heavy armor.  They've got a couple of nasty tricks too.



'Caster-wise, I'm worried about the same three as last time.  Lucant with his Arm-buffing Feat and Purification, Axis with his Spd and Str Buff/Debuff Feat, and Syntherion with Synergy.  These three have a lot of options against Skorne, and Purification is especially hard to deal with.

I picked two lists I knew could deal with both armor and infantry, Makeda 3 and Zaal:

Supreme Aptimus Zaal and Kovass (*5pts)
*Archidon (7pts)
*Cyclops Raider (5pts)
*Basilisk Krea (4pts)
*Aptimus Marketh (3pts)
Nihilators (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Immortals (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Tyrant Commander and Standard Bearer (3pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Hakaar the Destroyer (4pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Ancestral Guardian (3pts)
Extoller Soulward (2pts)

I just saw a very similar list on Muffinman's Dice For It! blog, and loved it immediately.  It's a lot like what I'd been thinking of running at 50pts, but replaces the Bronzeback and Gladiator in my list with an Archidon, Krea, Raider, and Extoller.  The Archdidon is a terrific removal piece or assassin, and the Raider and Extoller make for a brutal team at ranged support.  The Krea is good defense for Zaal, who's a little on the squishy side, or for the AG's (to keep them from getting shot off the table too soon) if Zaal's  not in any direct peril.

Makeda and the Exalted Court (*2pts)
*Molik Karn (11pts)
*Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
*Titan Gladiator (8pts)
*Cyclops Savage (5pts)
*Cyclops Brute (5pts)
*Cyclops Brute (5pts)
*Basilisk Krea (4pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Agonizer (2pts)

Here's the 50pt version of my current Makeda 3 list.  It's been great so far.  It activates quickly, the Brutes are surprisingly hardy speedbumps, and there's a lot of damage output in Makeda, the Savage, and the heavies.

My opponent, Josh, brought Forge Master Syntherion and Iron Mother Directrix.  I haven't played against Iron Mother much.  She's a toolboxy 'caster with a bunch of interesting spells, and a strong Feat that boosts accuracy for everything in Iron Mother's battlegroup.

Forge Master Syntherion (*6pts)
*Assimilator (8pts)
*Monitor (8pts)
*Mitigator (4pts)
*Diffuser (3pts)
*Corollary (3pts)
Reciprocators (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Perforators (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
*Transverse Enumerator (2pts)
Optifex Directive (2pts)
Enigma Foundry (3pts)
Enigma Foundry (3pts)
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex (1pt)
Attunement Servitors (2pts)
This list doesn't have a lot of fighty 'jacks for Synergy, but it's very solid.  The heavy infantry backed up by 2 Enigma Foundries will be a massive slog to get through, and the battlegroup still has enough models to get a fully loaded heavy up to a respectable bonus - certainly enough to scrap a colossal if it's needed.

Iron Mother Directrix and Exponent Servitors (*4pts)
*Prime Axiom (19pts)
*Corollary (3pts)
*Diffuser (3pts)
Reciprocators (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Reductors (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
*Transverse Enumerator (2pts)
Optifex Directive (2pts)
Enigma Foundry (3pts)
Enigma Foundry (3pts)
Attunement Servitors (2pts)
Reflex Servitors (2pts)

This is a balanced, all-comers list with a lot of answers and a strong attrition game.  The Reciprocators and Reductors backed up by 2 Enigma Foundries can swamp the table, and keep churning out more models as they do, and the Prime Axiom give the list a lot of flexibility with its armor cracking and tow cables to reel enemies in.


Scenario, List Selection, and Deployment

The Scenario was Fire Support: two flags 14" apart in the center of the table, with an objective for one player behind each of the flags.  Controlling a flag is worth one point, while dominating a flag is worth two.  Destroying your opponent's objective is also worth one point, and since it contests one of the flags, is often necessary to win by scenario.  The objectives also boost damage rolls for light artillery, which would be pretty sweet if I ever saw it used.

We set up the table, hid our 'casters, and got down to business.  I picked Makeda 3, and Josh picked Syntherion.

I went with Makeda 3 because she's fun, and she brings some great tools for messing up heavy armor.  She's good in split scenarios like this one that aren't too spread out.  She can dominate a flag while staying relatively safe, and project a huge amount of threat down the table while she does it.  She also pulled through against the last Convergence opponent I faced, so I was a little biased toward her.

Josh chose Syntherion because Synergy and Armor Piercing on the Perforators looked like a good combination to take apart my beast brick if I chose it.  The Iron Mother list had a few more options against Zaal with her infantry and Puncture spell, and had the Prime Axiom, but Syntherion had more spread out and consistent anti-armor, which is a good thing to have against a Beast Brick.

Josh won the roll-off, and chose the table side with a forest to hide Syntherion in, meaning I'd be going first.

I deployed in my standard brick.  My Brutes were on either flank of the formation, though they could run into the middle if need be.  The Bronzeback and Savage deployed on the center-left, Makeda, the Gladiator, and the Krea deployed more-or-less in the middle, and Molik deployed in the center-right.  Makeda's Guardians went behind Molik and the Savage respectively, where they could lend some support with Shield Guard.  The Paingivers went right behind my beast line, and the Agonzier went in the second rank toward the middle so it could go after Josh's Vectors wherever he deployed them.



Josh responded with a similar compact formation.  Syntherion, the Corollary, and the Assimilator went roughly in the middle, flanked by the Perforators and Diffuser on the left, and Reciprocators on the right.  The Monitor deployed just to the left of the Perforators.  The Optifex Directive went behind the Perforators, while the Servitors and Algorithmic Dispersion Optifexes spread out on the flanks to provide support.



No one had Advance Deploy, so we started up.


Turn 1, Skorne

I ran (or in the Gladiator's case, Rushed the Bronzeback and Trampled) with most of my list.  The Bronzeback and Cyclopes were in position to control or contest the flags, while Molik was in an aggressive position behind a wall.

Makeda charged up so she could cast Vortex of Destruction, and put 4 Fury on the Agonizer.  The Krea charged up and used Paralytic Aura to give Makeda and nearby models a little extra defense against shooting.  The Paingivers walked so they could manage Fury on the Krea and the Gladiator.



This is a pretty standard deployment for me.  I tried to double up on Shield Guard protection for my key heavies, even though most of Josh's shooting wouldn't be in range next turn.  I wanted to make sure those formations stayed in place so I could divert Armor Piercing and Beacon shots and flares away from my heavies later in the game.


Turn 1, Convergence

Josh also had a turn of mostly running.  All the 'jacks ran on one Focus, as usual.  Syntherion advanced, and cast all his upkeeps, getting Synergy on himself, Reconstruct on the Assimilator (which places it 3" away and repairs one box in each system when it becomes disabled), and Hot Shot (boosted damage rolls on ranged attacks) on the Monitor, leaving himself on no Focus.

The Optifex Directive gave some of the Perforators Pathfinder so they could move through the forest.  The Diffuser claimed an advanced position behind a wall on Josh's table edge.  The Servitors on the flanks spread out a bit.  The Monitor walked up and took a shot at the left Brute, but was out of range.



Josh had put himself in a pretty good position.  His leading edges were within my threat ranges, but I'd need to commit very hard if I wanted to do any kind of significant damage to them.  This would put my Cyclops models at the very edge of their threat ranges, and out of the supporting counterattack range of the Titans.  Not a great position to be in before the majority of Josh's force committed.


Brief Interlude

Tom, my opponent from my third League game, was watching, and jokingly said I should use the Molik Missile (tm), since I was running Molik Karn.  There was an angle, but I wasn't conviced, so I started planning my turn with the intention of taking out a couple lead models, and making Josh work to contest the flag closer to my objective on the next turn.

Then Josh said I should do it.  He'd heard all these stories about Molik Karn, and he wanted to see if there was any truth to them.  I mentioned that I thought it was possible, but it was the sort of thing that was just barely possibly in range, and it was a better idea to play it safe.

Well after that, there was no stopping them.  Josh and Tom both egged me on relentlessly until I agreed to give it a try.

Artist's rendition of Tom and Josh pressuring me to go for the kill (actually a cool mural near my apartment).



Turn 2, Skorne

Makeda leached in her Fury, and upkept Vortex of Destruction.

I had her activate first, and after some careful CTRL measurements, she advanced toward the center-right of the table, near the right flag.  That got her Control Area just near enough to Syntherion that Molik would be comfortably within it while easily within Reach range of Syntherion.

The Gladiator Rushed Molik, to make sure he had range and give him the ability to hop the wall on a charge.  The Paingivers moved up, and Enraged Molik and the Savage (+2 Str and the model must charge, slam, or trample without being forced), and wiped the Fury off the Gladiator to make next turn easier.

That was all the setup I needed to do, so it was time to see if Molik could get the job done.

He charged the Diffuser, moving 11" toward Syntherion, and ending up just within Reach range to the right of his target.  He wasn't attacking across the wall, so he hit easily, and reduced the light Vector to about 4 boxes.  Then he took is first Side Step right at Syntherion.  A Perforator was blocking his path, so he took his second initial attack at it.  He hit again, killed it, and Side Stepped into the gap and into melee range of Syntherion.

I made sure to measure Makeda's CTRL again, and Molik was in with an inch to spare, so it was time to buy attacks.  Syntheion is Def 13 Arm 18 with 20 hit boxes, which means hitting would be easier than usual for an assassination run, but I wouldn't be able to force Molik to boost attack rolls much, or I'd lose out on damage.  Still, I'd need 6's to hit, and would roll 3d6-3 for damage, so I thought I was in a good place.

The first bought attack missed on a 4, but I boosted it into a hit, and did 6 damage.  The second bought attack hit, and I cranked the damage roll for 10 more.  The third attack also hit, and returned Syntherion to the "some assembly required" stage of his life as a robot.




Victory to the Skorne!


Post-Game Thoughts

Hurray for Molik!  Hurray for Skorne!  Hurray for peer pressure!

The one tactical takeaway this game is to be aware of those pinball assassination runs with Molik.  Even if your opponent knows what Molik can do, and plays carefully, they might forget one of the possible Side Step lanes, and if their 'caster is 17" away or less, that could be game.  On the non-Skorne side of things, Molik has a 17" threat range that really just requires one model to be within his charge range to pull off some very janky maneuvers.  Hide your 'casters accordingly.

I don't have a lot more to say about my list, since I didn't learn anything particularly new about it this game.  I will say that I think Josh's list might want another combat-oriented Vector to hit hard under Synergy, possibly swapping some of the support models for a Conservator, but again, I didn't see it in action, so I can't say for sure.  Otherwise, Josh's list was very solid, and I wasn't looking forward to slogging it out against the Perforators and Reciprocators, even with the high Arm and hit points of my Warbeasts to even things out.

My next game is against Cryx, and a player who's also been tearing a swathe of destruction through the ranks with Asphyxious 2 and 3, so stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. Dang Molik Karn is terrifying. Glad that Ret can get in that game as well now with Mecha-Karn, can't wait to try him out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm very much looking forward to picking up Imperatus.

    It looks like a great model for Ret. That kind of long-range sword-to-'caster ability seems like it will do a lot to make opponents reconsider how much and how far they commit. It'll take heavies off the table more reliably than any other Ret 'jack save Hyperion. And Phoenix Protocol gives Imperatus durability Molik Karn can only dream about.

    Plus, a lot of 'casters will be able to do some seriously messed up things with Impy. Rahn and Issyria are the ones who seem the meanest right now, but really all Ret 'casters have some really nasty tricks to pull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking pretty hard at pVyros actually:
    Dawnlord Vyros
    -Imperatus
    -Hyperion
    HGThane
    Arcanist
    Arcanist
    Halberdiers + UA
    Invictors + UA

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really good point. pVyros has Mobility and Inviolable Resolve, which are both fantastic with Imperatus. Dang. Now I'll have to get even more stuff...

    ReplyDelete