Thursday, July 24, 2014

Battle Report: Force Wall mk II vs The Great Machine


This past Sunday I got in a full day of gaming over at Bob's house. We decided that we wanted to try "re-racking" this time, i.e. game against one another with a pair of lists, then reset and play again with the same lists now that we know their secrets. Of course being us this turned into a pair of 4 hour games, but that'll happen when death clock isn't on the line and you have these monsters running around in the background:

Fuzzy little weirdos...


I brought my mk II version of Force Wall:

Kaelyssa, Night's Whisper; Force Wall Tier 4
-Manticore x 3
-HYPERION
Paid Arcanist x 2
Free Arcanist x 4
House Shyeel Artificer
House Shyeel Battle Mages
House Shyeel Battle Mages
Tier Benefits:
1: Arcanists gain Focus Multiplier
2: FA of House Shyeel units and solos increases by 2
3: On the first round enemy models can't charge or run
4: Gain a free Arcanist for every myrmidon you take, ignoring FA limitations.

While Bob brought his own theme list, Syntherion's Great Machine:

Forge Master Syntherion; The Great Machine Tier 4
-Prime Axiom
-Corollary
-Cipher
-Galvanizer (free)
-Diffuser
-Mitigator
-Assimilator
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex x 2
Reflex Servitors
Attunement Servitors
Optifex Directive x 2
Tier Benefits:
1: Algorithmic Dispersion Optifexes gain Advanced Deployment
2: Syntherion's spells cost 1 less on the first turn
3: The Corollary begins the game with one focus for each Optifex Directive unit you include
4: Add a free Galvanizer to Syntherion's battle group.

We decided to play Destruction as our scenario for both games. Game 1 Bob won the roll to go first and deployed like so:

I counter deployed by placing my Hyperion in the center and my other forces spread out symmetrically. This was a mistake on my part as I should have put the Hyperion across from the forest either on my left or my right as it (along with Kaelyssa and the Artificer) is pretty much the only thing in my army that has Pathfinder.

I also here made the even more crucial mistake of giving away the side of the board that had walls on it, an unforgiveable sin when facing a colossal with auto damaging harpoon guns.

Convergence turn 1:
His robots walked forward with menacing purpose. The Prime Axiom was so confused that it forgot to spawn a servitor. Syntherion cast Hot Shot on the Prime Axiom (auto boosting all ranged damage rolls), Synergy on himself and Reconstruct on the Cipher (when disabled place it within 3" and heal 1 box from each system).

Retribution turn 1:
Run! The Battle Mages activated first to present barricades to the Axiom's drag shots and ran forwards. My jacks (following the Hyperion's lead) did likewise off of focus from the Arcanists. Kaelyssa advanced, cast Banishing Ward on the Hyperion (to prevent it from being targeted by Syntherion's Magnetic Hold spell, which gives the target -2 speed and gives models charging the target +2 movement), Phantom Hunter on herself and, for shits and giggles, Arcane Reckoning on the left unit of Battle Mages. The Artificer advanced beside her and tossed out Force Barrier like candy.

Convergence turn 2:
Knowing that my army can put the scenario pressure on hard and fast Bob decided to get some models into the zone. The Elimination Servitors advanced cautiously and dug in while the Assimilator ran into the zone with a unit of Optifex Directives playing backup dancers to prevent it from being Force Bolted out of the zone. The Galvanizer attempted to run into the zone but couldn't quite make it, so the Cipher put down some rough terrain to make charging the Assimilator difficult. The Prime Axiom took some pot shots at the left Battle Mages, killing the two that were in range.

Finally one of the Algorithmic Dispersion Optifexes ran forwards and let Syntherion arc Magnetic Hold onto my right Manticore, but he had nothing around that could charge it.

Retribution turn 2:
I debated for a while if I was going to try to force the scenario. The Hyperion can easily shoot out or walk up and smash an objective, but I would also need to kill or push the Assimilator out of the zone. There was also the problem that the Prime Axiom would likely enter the zone next turn and if I tried to do everything at once I wouldn't be able to stop it from getting there. After measuring Kaelyssa's control range and discovering that she was over 9 inches away from the zone I decided to forgo the scenario and instead focus on wrecking things. She dropped Arcane Reckoning and Banishing Ward. She allocated 1 to the Hyperion.

The Hyperion started things off by getting 2 focus from helpful Arcanists and advanced to toe into the zone. A boosted Starburst cannon shot took a large chunk out of the Assimilator but somehow failed to kill any of the infantry units around it. Boosted damage Thresher cannons added to the carnage.

My left Battle Mages activated and killed the Optifex Directives around the Assimilator as well as the Elimination Servitors in the zone. The right Battle Mages got out of the way of my left two Manticores and did… something. My memory fails me. Kaelyssa then activated, cast Banishing Ward on the right Manticore to get rid of Magnetic Hold and feated.

I then screwed up my activations and gave three focus to the lead Manticore on the left. I had meant to give one to that one and three to the one behind to jam the Prime Axiom out of the zone, but oh well. The lead Manticore advanced and blew the Assimilator to smithereens while the second Manticore ran behind him.

Convergence turn 3:
Bob smacked himself on the forehead for not putting Reconstruct on the Assimilator and went into the tank for a bit. When he came to the game plan was fairly simple-  get the Prime Axiom into the zone and start killing my heavies while preventing them from attacking the Axiom in return. He debated Magnetic Holding my Hyperion and charging it with the Axiom, but a quick reminder that he couldn't actually charge me put that plan to bed.

The Axiom advanced into the zone and was within 5" of my lead Manticore. A drag shot and several drill attacks later the poor myrmidon was a pile of scrap. Other than that his light jacks wandered into the zone and killed a few Battle Mages, jamming up my left Manticore and the Hyperion. The third light jack hung out near his objective threatening shots with its +2" of charge gun. Finally the Cipher threw down some rough terrain to make my life difficult.

The black Manticore is actually destroyed. You'll be seeing a lot of that this post...
Retribution turn 3:
The Prime Axiom hurts, and I kept on trying to think of a way to kill it but came up with nada. So I decided to do the next best thing and smash the three light jacks that he had so generously given me as it would seriously hamper any efforts to benefit from Synergy. It was at this point that I announced "For my plan to work I need 9 focus… fortunately I can do that!"

Kaelyssa allocated three focus to the right Manticore while the other two myrmidons got three focus each from my Arcanists. My left Manticore and the Hyperion proceeded to smack the ever living crap out of their targets while my right Battle Mages dragged in the third jack for my right Manticore to kill. Kaelyssa moved to put the Hyperion fully between her and the Prime Axiom and moved Banishing Ward onto the big guy and also sniped out a flare bot. Finally the Artificer moved to get Force Barrier out on the majority of my Arcanists.

Convergence turn 4:
Bob continued his heavy killing campaign by firing tow cable shots at my two Manticores. Fortunately the one on the right was positioned such that it got caught on the objective and couldn't be dragged into smashing range… which is exactly what happened to the other Manticore.

The Cipher then got Pathfinder from one of the Optifex Directives and charged into the Manticore, which it could now see thanks to the Axiom's drag. Fortunately for me it whiffed its charge attack and left the myrmidon on about a third health with both arms and the cortex still functioning.

The Manticore next to the Prime Axiom is an ex-Manticore.
Retribution turn 4:
Last turn was big. So long as I could keep the Manticore alive I could easily threaten to one round the Axiom, but the first step had to be eliminating the Cipher. A fully tuned up Manticore proved more than a match for the task. It Reconstructed across the wall from the myrmidon but the Hyperion put an end to its games.

I then threw all of the infantry that I had in between the Manticore and the Prime Axiom- it would have to get through them to drag my myrmidon back in. Finally smelling a possible assassination vector in the future Kaelyssa ran around the right flank.

The backwards Cipher is actually an interpretive art piece. Tra!
Round 5 and 6:
Bob wasn't able to get much work done on my turn besides killing a few of my infantry. When it came to my turn I took a hard look at the board state. I could maybe get the Manticore and Hyperion close enough to the Prime Axiom to charge it on the following turn, but it was looking dicey with the Manticore already fairly beat up. So instead I looked at Syntherion sitting behind a wall on 0 camp and figured "eh, let's try for an assassination."

Kaelyssa started things off by firing three shots at Syntherion, doing a bit of damage and then tossing Phantom Hunter onto the Hyperion. Now ignoring the wall the Hyperion fired a boosted Starburst shot that did 10 or so damage, but unfortunately not enough of my Thresher cannons did damage to finish him off, leaving the Forge Master on 4 boxes.

This allowed the Prime Axiom one more turn to try and kill Kaelyssa. It was first cleared of infantry by his other forces, then the Prime Axiom advanced, dragged Kaelyssa in but left her on two boxes thanks to her naturally high defense. At this point it was a simple matter of applying Starburst cannon and Vengeance to face to finish off the Forge Master.

Victory for the Retribution!

Aaaaaand RERACK!

We decided to switch up the terrain a bit but keep the same lists and scenario. Bob once again won the roll to go first and chose to do so, allowing me to correctly choose the side with plenty of walls.

With my pre deploy I positioned the Hyperion to charge through a large forest and barrel down on the objective. I felt that if I could force the Prime Axiom to enter into the zone after scoring 3 control points that I could easily mob it with heavies and take it out fast and hard.

Convergence turn 1:
He advanced, put out Reconstruct on the Assimilator and Hot Shot on the Prime Axiom. 'Nuff said.

Retribution turn 1:
I ran pell mell forwards, charging Kaelyssa to get her within easy walking distance of the zone. Banishing Ward went up on the Hyperion and Phantom Hunter on my baeby.

Convergence turn 2:
Realizing that I was going to make a play for scenario Bob decided to make my choice difficult. The Cipher advanced on to the hill overlooking the objective along with the Prime Axiom and was flanked by the +2" of charge bot. If I decided to go for the objective the charge lane would then be open for either of the big jacks to get on my Hyperion. A Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex ran up near the objective as well and arced Magnetic Hold onto one of my Manticores.

Elsewhere the Galvanizer entered the zone along with a few Reflex Servitors while the Assimilator hung back and boosted some Ground Pounder shots to kill a few of my battle mages.

Retribution turn 2:
I mulled over my decision for a bit and decided that scenario was probably not the way to go, mostly due to not wanting my caster to get killed. I then noticed that the Cipher was almost within charge range of the Hyperion and the Manticore that got Magnetic Held, and remembered that I had battle mages in the area…

Kaelyssa dropped Banishing Ward but kept Phantom Hunter. My right Battle Mages activated first and advanced straight over to the right, hoping to drag the Cipher off of the hill and into the waiting arms of the Hyperion. Unfortunately a miss followed by a subpar drag quickly doomed this plan to failure as I dragged the Cipher into a locked position behind the objective. Deciding to stick with the plan of smashing the Cipher I allocated three to the Hyperion, advanced it and did stunning amounts of damage, taking the heavy vector for more than half of his boxes. Kaelyssa then cast Banishing Ward on the cursed Manticore, then swapped it to the Hyperion, then backed up behind a wall and eliminated the Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex. Finally the Manticore got allocated three focus and took the Cipher to  just four boxes left.

Feeling pretty good about that ranged damage turn I then realized that I had forgotten to feat. Bob offered to let me do so anyway but since I'm trying to up my game I declined. I ran my Artificer in  Not really knowing what to do with the rest of my turn I had the left battle mages charge the Galvanizer and put a few points into it and took some pot shots with the other two Manticores.

Convergence turn 3:
Bob decided to utilize the immense repair power in his army and after auto-repairing the Cipher ran the heavy vector to the back of his lines. Three Optifex Directives descended on the jack and repaired it to half health.

The Prime Axiom did what Prime Axioms do and murdered the Artificer before smashing the Manticore to smithereens. To add to the carnage the Assimilator advanced and nearly finished off my left unit of battle mages with another round of boosted ground pounding. To cap the turn an Optifex Directive ran in front of the Assimilator to try to prevent me from dragging it in.

Retribution turn 3:
And the elves did laugh at the Convergence's pathetic attempt to screen their heavy. Kaelyssa allocated three to the Hyperion and dropped Banishing Ward. My remaining battle mage from the left squad maneuvered into an annoying position near the Prime Axiom while Kaelyssa killed the offending model and, for good measure, fired an Arcantrik Bolt at the Assimilator and made it stationary. She then popped her feat.

The remaining battle mages then easily dragged the Assimilator in to killing range. The first Manticore got three focus and pounded it into scrap, at which point it reconstructed behind my objective. The second Manticore then got three focus and murdered it on the first shot, taking the second to kill a flare bot.

The Hyperion finished the turn by maneuvering into a position where it couldn't be advanced at by the Prime Axiom and fired some shots into it.

That horse is the Assimilator's ghost... rider. Get it?!?
Convergence turn 4:
Bob was in a bit of a pickle. He couldn't drag in both of my heavies and if he advanced into dragging range he would almost definitely lose his colossal. But he also couldn't charge them thanks to my feat. So instead he knocked one of my Manticores down with a the bolo shot from a light jack and decided to trample the Prime Axiom over to my jacks, forgetting to use Syntherion's feat before hand for at least the free charge if not the extra range attacks. Two below damage swings later and one of my Manticores had a busted arm and movement but was otherwise ready to rock.

Sensing that he had made a mistake Bob ran his Galvanizer in between the Prime Axiom and my healthy Manticore and also ran the Cipher up to start threatening my board position.

Retribution turn 4:
Time to bring this muthaf***er down! Kaelyssa allocated three to the Hyperion, two to the knocked down Manticore (standing it back up in the process) and one to the other Manticore. My Arcanists moved into position and allocated the remaining two focus to each heavy and gave them Concentrated Power while the mages dragged the Galvanizer out of the Manticores' landing zone. The wounded Manticore then advanced into melee range, spent a focus to get +3 strength and started swinging. The crippled arm hit and managed to do 5 damage (yay P+S 20!), but then I somehow managed to miss my next two attacks, with the third coming in for sub par damage. The second Manticore advanced over the wall and, while it hit every time, didn't do quite as much damage as I expected, leaving the colossal standing.

At this the Hyperion cracked its knuckles, walked forward and with a boosted Starburst shot blew the monster to kingdom come. Having little else to do he took some pot shots at the Galvanizer, inflicting a bit of damage.

Convergence turn 5:
With his main heavy hitter down Bob needed to get some damage flowing. Syntherion feated and killed the wounded Manticore with a shot from his gun and a Convetion. He also cast Reconstruct on the Cipher. The Galvanizer charged the Hyperion to start the Synergy chain. The bolo bot then charged the remaining Manticore and also killed three of my mages with a well aimed bolo shot. The Cipher then got all terrain drive, charged in and smashed the remaining Manticore to smithereens.

Retribution turn 5:
But it wasn't enough, the tide was turning inexorably my way. Fully fueled and filled with Concentrated Power the Hyperion charged in… and took four swings to down the Cipher, which then reconstructed away. Angry at his terrible damage rolls the Hyperion took out half a Galvanizer.

Kaelyssa then stepped up to the plate and fired two boosted shots at the Cipher, returning it once more to the scrap pile.

Backwards Ciphers are Srehpic, which I have on good authority means "scrap metal."
Endgame:
Bob couldn't do much to me at this point. The Galvanizer and bolo bot attempted to do some damage, but the Hyperion was too much and smashed them both on the following turn while Kaelyssa ran behind it to preserve the lead I had. With all of my Arcanists remaining I would easily be able to repair him each turn, so Bob turned to a last ditch effort.

The Corollary (along with all of this remaining infantry, such as they were) charged the Hyperion to get the Synergy chain up 1 while the +2" of charge bot did its job. Syntherion then came tearing in, tossing out 7 attacks and doing a lot more damage than I expected, taking out the right side and leaving me with maybe 10 boxes on the left.

I then took my turn, advance an Arcanist to repair… and failed. Advance another Arcanist to repair… failed again. Finally the third Arcanist repaired the right arm, allowing the mighty construct to tear the Forge Master in half.

Another victory for the Retribution!

After thoughts:

Don't have a lot of time for reflection, but the main thing I know to do now when facing Convergence is arm locks. If two of my jacks are arm locked to one another they cannot be dragged, forming a bunker for the third to sit in and more or less guaranteeing that I can get a heavy plus my colossal on the Axiom.

Before I learned this Convergence, as you can see here, was a bear of a match up, but now I think that Force Wall is fairly well suited to fight against it. The list is immune to all of the blast weapons that they have flying around (except the puncture blasts, but at least they need a direct hit) and they have few magical attacks to get around the mages' defensive buffs. They also rely on multiple jacks or heavy infantry to get the job done, which my list has an easy time of pushing around or just scrapping with my heavies. On the flip side they are more or less immune to Covering Fire, but that's a trade that I'm willing to take.

And for reading through two battle reports, more dog pics for you!





That's it for now, and until next time shank a round ear for me!

3 comments:

  1. Omg! Yesss! Dog pictures!!!

    I mean... well played...

    What are you thinking of the Hype in the list over a Phoenix plus AFG? It seems like the Starburst cannon did a lot of work over those 2 games, and the late game smashing power of a Gargossal is really fantastic. Then again, you lose out on the Rift thing, which is kind of a shame.

    Also... dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go into the pros and cons in more detail in one of my posts that will hopefully go up next week, but here's the skinny:

    Big Hypes Pros:
    - VERY effective at getting ranged damage on heavies
    - Starburst cannon can annihilate infantry if needed
    - He projects a fair bit of threat and can easily bully big things out of the zone
    - If you protect him you have enough arcanists to repair 6-36 points of damage a turn, and usually by that point they have nothing better to do.
    Big Hypes Cons:
    - Still have to be careful with him; a bronzeback or two heavies/heavy and a colossal will wreck or seriously damage him
    - No way to increase his threat range vs enemy colossals and heavies need to be dragged in
    - Lacks the accuracy of the Phoenix and AFG especially vs infantry
    - Thresher cannons often seem pointless
    - Not an arc node

    I'm still not decided on whether these are game breakers or not, but that's how I sees it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes sense. I'm looking forward to seeing more reports with both configurations.

    ReplyDelete