Saturday, August 18, 2012

Random Thoughts

I got a game in against a new player yesterday, and it was lots of fun, as usual.  I won't get into the details here - it was a fun game, but it was a teaching game, so there weren't a lot of tricks flying around - but I do have a few comments on my eHexeris list I noticed during this game.

The list I played was my eHexy list from this post, using the Cannoneer, because it's fully assembled and painted, which I consider extra important against newer players.  It's much easier to tell what a model is if it's an accurate representation etc. etc.

While the Cannoneer definitely pulled its weight, it also has a slight conflict of interest with eHexeris.  Both of them want the Extoller's Guidance every turn.  Eyeless Sight is just too good on eHexy, who wants it for Black Spot, as well as Hellfire and Ashes to Ashes, and he's getting it every turn, while Candice has to do her best and hope for good deviation rolls.  I wasn't expecting it to be quite so one sided - pHexeris often doesn't get Guidance, but despite having a similar beast loadout, he plays very differently.

I also got to see the full power of Black Spot + Train Wreck + Reach with my Cyclops Savage, which was pretty awesome.  It's hard to stop with just positioning.  I can see this tactic destroying a lot of units with medium-to-low Defense.

Both of these factors lead me to conclude that the Sentry will do really well.  It doesn't want Guidance except for the corner case where I want to charge it through a forest or cloud, and it has Reach.  Plus it's a very tough Bond beast with some good tricks to protect the Gladiator and Bronzeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment