Saturday, August 11, 2012

Battle Report: Void Seer Mordikaar vs. Calandra Truthsayer

Caleb and I got a game in this past Friday.  He went with Calandra, and I decided to give Mordikaar another shot.

Trollbloods (35pts)

Calandra Truthsayer, Oracle of the Glimmerwood (+5)
*Dire Troll Mauler (9)
*Troll Axer (6)
*Troll Impaler (5)

10 Trollkin Fennblades (8)
*Officer and Musician (2)
6 Pyg Bushwhackers (5)

Janissa Stonetide (3)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2)

This seems like a well balanced attrition list.  The Mauler and Axer can both hit very hard, the Fennblades are a good tar pit, and the Bushwhackers add some decent long ranged attacks to pick off support models and infantry.  Janissa and the Chronicler can add in some more attrition with Rock Wall and Storytelling.  The main Assassination threats are the Warbeasts, though the troops could certainly get the job done if my warlock is knocked down (due to Calandra's Force Blast spell, for example).
 
Skorne (35pts)

Void Seer Mordikaar (+5)
*Titan Gladiator (8)
*Archidon (7)

10 Praetorian Swordsmen (6)
*Officer and Standard Bearer (2)
6 Cataphract Cetrati (11)
4 Paingiver Beast Handlers (2)

Void Spirit (2)
Void Spirit (2)

I've decided to juggle my Mordikaar list around and give the Archidon a try.  He doesn't seem to need the Sentry very much because Tough, Undead Swordsmen (due to his Hollow spell) are such a fantastic tar pit, and because the Archidon has a scary Assassination threat with Flight letting it charge past enemy models and Mordikaar's spell Ghost Walk letting it ignore free strikes.  Mordikaar's other Assassination threats are all spell powered.  He can use his troops for Essence Blasts on the enemy caster, or Revive them (especially the elite Cetrati) into good charge positions.  Otherwise, this list has a very heavy attrition element.  It'll be hard to kill off, and every death can make Mordikaar more powerful.
  
Since there are pictures, I should say that we both used a few proxies this game.  I was using Master Tormentor Morghoul as Mordikaar, my Bronzeback's legs as the Archidon, and my Agonizer and Extoller Soulward as my Void Spirits.  Caleb had borrowed some models, and used 40mm wood circles to proxy the ones he was missing.  He was also using an incomplete Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain as Calandra.  Hopefully, the report will make it clear who is doing what.  If there are any unclear bits, just mention them, and I'll try to edit the post to make them clearer.

Deployement
 
We ended up playing Process of Elimination, largely because the zones were still on the table from my previous game (pMorghoul vs Borka, Battle Report to come).  In this scenario, you score points by controlling one of the two long zones.  You can only score in one zone at a time, and you can only ever score in each zone once.  The first player to 2 would win by Scenario, though I had a hunch we'd start ignoring the Zones and focus on caster kill in pretty short order.


I won the roll off, and chose to go first.  I deployed the Swordsmen in a broad line opposite both Zones.  The Cetrati and Mordikaar went behind them.  The warbeasts and attendant Paingivers deployed on my far left flank where the Archidon could play around with the building there.  Both Void Spirits deployed on my right flank, hoping to pick off support models or nip around to attack Calandra herself.







Caleb deployed his Warbeasts opposite mine, with the Mauler on my far Left, and the Axer and Impaler toward the middle.  The Fennblades deployed in front of both zones just like my Swordsmen.  The Stone Scribe Chronicler and Janissa deployed just behind them.  The Bushwhackers advance deployed on my right side, intending to move up my flank and use the low walls there for cover while they picked off my infantry.








Turn 1 - Skorne

I'm not used to Void Spirits yet, and my first mistake of the game was deploying them next to my Swordsmen.  Luckily, I passed the Abomination check, and ran both the Spirits and the Swordsmen forward to the edges of the Zones.  The Cetrat ran behind the Swordsmen.   The Gladiator Rushed itself, then Trampled forward to get 9" of distance.  The Archidon ran to just behind the building.  Mordikaar advanced, put Hollow on the Swordsmen, making them Undead and Tough (and letting Mordikaar collect their Soul Tokens if any of them should be destroyed), then put Banishing Ward on the Gladiator, since I knew Calandra would try to lure it out and kill it with Befuddle.  The Paingivers ran to just behind the Warbeasts.

There isn't usually much to say on the strategic picture at the top of turn 1.  My basic plan was to jam the zones with the Swordsmen while setting up an assassination run on Calandra with my Archidon and Essence Blasts.  The building is a good place for the Archidon to hide out and harass Caleb's flank from for now, and the Void Spirits are going to be a threat on the other side of the battle.

Turn 1 - Trollbloods

The Fennblades started out by running into the control zones on their end, and staggering their formation so I couldn't get to their second rank.  The Bushwhackers advanced to the first low wall, and took some shots at my leading Swordsmen, killing one of them, and giving Mordikaar a Soul Token due to Hollow.  The Stone Scribe Chronicler used Hero's Tragedy on the Fennblades.  If my Swordsmen were in range to charge and kill any of them, the Swordsmen would be knocked down at the end of their activations.  Janissa advanced, and placed a Rock Wall in front of the Fennblades Officer to protect him from any early game pot shots.  The Troll Warbeasts all ran forward, keeping in line with my own beasts.  Calandra cast Star Crossed, which forced me to roll an additional die on attack rolls and drop the highest die, and then put Bullet Dodger on herself (giving her +2 Def against ranged attacks, and the ability to move out of the way if I miss her with an attack), then charged at one of my Swordsmen.  She didn't reach him, but managed to get further upfield than if she'd just advanced.

Let the Attrition begin.  Caleb's advance let him contest both zones, and he had the numbers, combined with Tough and Star Crossed, to make the game a real slog for me.  I had to keep in mind that his biggest threat came from his Warbeasts, but I still had my Cetrati between them and Mordikaar for now.

Turn 2 - Skorne

Mordikaar leached fury, and upkept Hollow and Banishing Ward, and the dead Swordsman's Soul Token became another point of fury for Mordikaar due to Cull Soul.  The Bushwhackers would be a problem if I didn't deal with them.  I had two Swordsmen who might be in range of the Fennblades, and it would be nice to put some damage on them this turn.  Finally, anything I could do to the Troll Warbeasts this turn would be a bonus.  I didn't want to sacrifice my Archidon to them, but maybe I could throw one, and Sprint away after killing a Fennblade.

One Void Spirit charged the Bushwhackers, who failed their Abomination check, and would flee next turn.  The Void Spirit killed its initial target, generating an Eruption of Ash (a 3" AoE of Pow 12 Fire centered on the boxed Pygmy) which killed one more, and caused two others to fall down due to Tough.  Two of the Swordsmen charged the Fennblades I thought I could reach, but were just out of range, the rest of the Swordsmen ran to jam Caleb's Fennblades and beasts.  The Cetrati went into Shield Wall gaining +4 Arm while base-to-base with each other, and advanced.  The second Void Spirit ran to just behind the Swordsmen.  The Gladiator cast Rush on the Archidon, then advanced, to behind the Swordsmen.

Mordikaar cast Revive to bring back the dead Swordsman, then used his Feat, Void Wind, granting everything in his CTRL +3 Def and Poltergeist (letting me push enemy models who miss my own models d3").  He then charged one of the Fennblades to move further up.  The Archidon flew over the building, cast Lightning Strike on itself (granting it Sprint - the ability to make a full advance after killing one or more models with melee attacks during its activation), then killed a Fennblade and Sprinted back behind the Swordsmen.  The Fennblades were affected by Hero's Tragedy, but because the Archidon is Serpentine, it wasn't knocked down.  It took some damage from a Fennblade's Free Strike.  The Paingivers used Medicate on the Archidon, healing it for 1, and then Conditioned the Gladiator so that neither beast would take a Threshold check next turn.

My plan for a spell and Archidon assassination was shaping up pretty well.  Calandra would have to be careful to make sure there were no landing zones near her for my next turn.  Depending on how many Swordsmen died on the coming Trollblood turn, I could use Essence Blast either to clear out enemies or to (maybe) finish Calandra.

Turn 2 - Trollbloods

In the Maintenance Phase, the Fennblades took their Vengeance moves and attacks, killing a Swordsman.  Calandra leached fury, and upkept Bullet Dodger on herself.  Caleb's army would have a hard time hitting my models, but he might be able to get through to my more valuable, and lower Def, Warbeasts.  If he could take them out, I'd be at a serious disadvantage in the coming turns.

Calandra cast Star Crossed again, then advanced.  The Pygmies retreated to a forest, and rallied.  The Fennblades Officer used his mini-Feat, No Quarter, giving the Fennblades Pathfinder, Terror, and Fearless for one Round.  The Fennblades charged at my Swordsmen, but due to Mordikaar's Feat and a couple successful Tough rolls, didn't manage to kill any of them.  The Troll Impaler advanced to help screen Calandra, used its Animus, Far Strike, to gain +4" of range, and shot my Gladiator for moderate damage.  The Mauler used its Animus, Rage, on the Axer to give it +3 Strength, and also moved to Screen Calandra.  The Axer charged at my Archidon (it could barely see the edge of the Archidon's base, and made a Thresher special attack against the Archidon and four Praetorian Swordsmen.  It killed one of the Swordsmen, and reduced the Archidon to just 1 hit box with a single swipe.  It had missed a Swordsman, however, and was Poltergeisted away before it could buy any more attacks against the Archidon.  Calandra had used one of her Fury points to reroll the attack on the Archidon, leaving her with 2 Fury for transfers.  Janissa advanced, and cast Rock Hammer at the Incorporeal Void Spirit, killing it.  Finally, the Stone Scribe Chronicler used Hero's Tragedy on the Fennblades again, and ran to screen Calandra some more.

Caleb was jamming me well, and I wouldn't be able to get many attacks in on his Warbeasts next turn.  No matter what I did to his Fennblades, the beasts would be around to wreak havoc on my forces, and they were a very versatile selection.  He'd screened Calandra as best he could from Archidon attacks, but would it be enough?

Turn 3 - Skorne

Mordikaar upkept Hollow, but let Banishing Ward drop, and got 2 points of Fury from Cull Soul.  I was fairly sure I could get to Calandra this turn, but much less sure that I could finish her.  Between Tough, Star Crossed and Bullet Dodger, Calandra had a lot of defensive tricks, and she had 2 points of Fury to transfer damage with.  Luckily, I wouldn't have to choose between assassination and attrition this turn.  The Archidon was on its last legs, and had nothing better to do than give it a try.

I started off by charging my surviving Void Spirit into Janissa, killing her, but catching nothing else in the Eruption of Ash.  My Swordsmen advanced, and the Officer used his mini-Feat Perfect Strike, letting the Swordsmen do a single point of damage to warrior models instead of rolling damage.  The Swordsmen on my left did well, killing most of the Fennblades opposing them, and used Side Step to close with Caleb's second rank.  Because of Hero's Tragedy, however, they were knocked down after that.  The Swordsmen on my right side cound not kill a single Fennblade, try though they might.  Oh well.  The Cetrati advanced again, and used Shield Wall.  One of them managed to kill a single Fennblade.  Mordikaar advanced to behind the left clump of Cetrati, and cast Ghost Walk on the Archidon, allowing it to ignore free strikes, then healed its two broken aspects.  It had only 3 hit points left, but it would get its shot at glory.  The Gladiator cast Rush on the Archidon, and advanced, screening Mordikaar.  The Paingiver Beast Handlers used Enrage on the Archidon, granting it +2 Strength and letting it charge for free, and Medicate on the Gladiator, healing one of its hit boxes.

Finally, the Archidon screeched and launched itself at Calandra.  With a 12" charge range, it found a landing zone just behind the Dire Troll Mauler.  It boosted its first attack roll, and barely hit despite Star Crossed.  What's more, it rolled doubles, meaning it could use Critical Pitch to throw Calandra.  I threw her into the Stone Scribe Chronicler right next to her since she'd stop when she hit it, and still be in my melee range.  Calandra transferred the damage, but was knocked down, and sitting on just one more point of Fury.  The Archidon bought 3 more attacks, but Calandra was left alive at 3 hit points.

                                  This would be a lot more dramatic if I owned an actual Archidon.


So close!  But Calandra was in serious trouble if she didn't deal with the Archidon somehow.  It and the Swordsmen were the most pressing threats to Caleb.  Besides attacking Calandra, they could all be used to target Essence Blasts, even one of which could take her out if Caleb failed her Tough check.

Turn 3 - Trollbloods

The Fennblades made their Vengeance moves and attacks, killing a few Swordsmen.  Calandra upkept Bullet Dodger because defensive advance would be critical.  The Archidon would have to go, but it was almost dead anyway.  If Caleb cleared out enough Swordsmen, he'd be able to charge the Mauler into the Gladiator, taking both my warbeasts out along with Mordikaar's ability to support himself.

Calandra activated first, cast Star Crossed, used her Feat, Good Omens, and finished the Archidon in melee, camping 3 Fury.  The Fennblades killed off all the remaining Swordsmen they could get to, as well as the Void Spirit.  The Axer advanced next to the Mauler, and made a Thresher attack, killing off the four Swordsmen it needed to to clear a lane for the Mauler to charge my Gladiator.  Crucially, it had to use one of Calandra's Fury to reroll an attack, even with her Feat up.  The Mauler then charged the Gladiator and killed it, but had to use another of Calandra's Fury to ensure that it hit with its Chain Attack: Grab and Smash, which it used to knock the Gladiator down with a headbutt.  The Impaler, able to draw line of sight to Mordikaar, threw a spear at him, scoring a Critical Smite that knocked Mordikaar back an inch and knocked him down.  The Pyg Bushwhackers activated next, but weren't able to draw line of sight to Mordikaar past the Cetrati, so they killed off all but one of the Swordsmen.

Caleb had done grievous damage to my army, but Mordikaar would be sitting on an immense pile of Fury next turn - he had 9 Soul Tokens from the Hollowed Swordsmen Caleb had destroyed.  With no Warbeasts left, I was in a do-or die position.  Fortunately, Calandra was vulnerable.  She had a lot of defenses, but she was only camping one point of Fury, and I had enough warm bodies left to Essence Blast her into oblivion if fate was with me. 

Turn 4 - Skorne

As there was only one Swordsman left alive, Mordikaar dropped Hollow.  It had served him well.  Calandra had to go, and the resources at Mordikaar's disposal were 6 Cataphract Cetrati and 16 points of Fury.  My plan was simple enough.  The Cetrati would run through the swamp to within 6" of Calandra, then Mordikaar would use Essence Blast to barf their souls at her until she died.

The last Swordsman activated first, and got out of the way.  The Cetrati went next, and ran to within 6" of Calandra.  Mordikaar went last, forfeiting his action to stand, and started casting Essence Blast.  It took him 4 to finish Calandra, but he finally got her.

                                              The final Essence Blast:  BLUURRRGHFF!!

Victory to the Skorne, and a very fun game on top of it.

Thoughts

An incredibly fun game, with two big attrition armies going head to head.  I think I've finally found the right balance for my Mordikaar list at 35pts for now.  I really enjoyed the fast and flexible offensive threat of the Archidon.  When I used the Sentry, it felt a little redundant, since all the infantry in the army is already geared toward attrition.  The Archidon gave me some potent new options, and since it's only 7 points, I was able to include a second Void Spirit in the list as well.

Caleb played pretty aggressively with Calandra, and misjudged my Archidon's threat range badly on his second turn.  Other than that, he played a very solid game.  He used his Fennblades well to screen his warbeasts and grind down my Swordsmen.  He made sure to finish off the beasts themselves quickly, so I'd have no chance to retaliate against his own.

After the game, Caleb considered dropping Janissa for a Fell Caller Hero to support his Fennblades, which I think is probably a good move.  Although Janissa is excellent, she seemed to lag behind a little this game, and she might be more useful in a list which didn't jam so aggressively early on.

Finally, I know at least one person who only looks at this blog for the cat pictures, so here's another one.

                             Unlike Calandra and Mordikaar, Pax and Apollo are good at sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment