Friday, January 16, 2015

Steamrolling with Makeda 3 and the Brute Squad, Part 1: Options



As people who read my posts regularly know by now, I've been playing Makeda 3 a lot, and lately, I've been playing her in the same Brute Squad list a lot.  I've talked a little about branching out and trying more options with this list, and here are a few modules I'm thinking about trying out.  They're all variations on the Brute Squad, and I'm really only switching out a couple of models.  There's also been a lot of good discussion about the various modules in various places, and I'd like to use this post as a setting to talk about the ones I've heard or thought of, and some other ones people have seen and used.

I've posted about my current list a lot, but here it is again:

Makeda and the Exalted Court (*2pts)
*Molik Karn (11pts)
*Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
*Titan Gladiator (8pts)
*Cyclops Brute (5pts)
*Cyclops Brute (5pts)
*Cyclops Savage (5pts)
*Basilisk Krea (4pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Agonizer (2pts)


The Brutes are the jamming and screening element.  It's their job to block charge lanes to the heavies and Makeda, and tie up enemy troops.  They can either function as a team, pairing up to jam a 12" or so line of the battlefield, or move up the sides of the army, and stall the enemy while the heavies behind them set up counterattacks.

Makeda (and her unit) and Molik clear jams, and do the bulk of the work against infantry heavy lists.  Both can do a tremendous amount of damage to any kind of model, and both are good at finishing Warcasters.  Their mobility (from various spells and abilities) lets them go all over the table, and Fate Walker lets them retreat a bit after at turn of doing damage.  Makeda's Guardians make good lane blockers too.  Just hard enough to kill to require a little effort, and when they take damage, they make Makeda stronger and tougher.

The Bronzeback and Gladiator are second line heavies who provide Molik with a lot of support, but also charge in and get their Gauntlets dirty when the list is up against heavy armor.  They're both very powerful, hard-hitting models, and are good at taking out heavies.  The Bronzeback also grants huge board control through the Train Wreck Animus.  These two tend to stay close together, and give the list trading options against heavy armor, and big, beefy pieces to dominate the endgame.

The Beast Handlers and Agonizer are support for the Beasts.  The Handlers focus on the Heavies and Krea - the Brutes don't need much attention in their role as screening models.  If they're overloaded, they can Frenzy, and they rarely get Enrage unless they're in a unique position to do something useful.  At Mat 5, they're not melee elites.  The Agonizer is great support for all the Beasts.  Against Hordes, it's essentially +2Arm against the opponent's hardest hitters.  Against Warmachine, it gives the list a turn of breathing room against Warjacks.  The Agonizer and Handlers usually hang out behind or with the heavies, giving support.

Finally, there are the Savage and the Krea, which I'd consider the least essential elements of my list.  The Krea is basically a big "NO" to gun lines.  Combined with Shield Guard on the Exalted Guardians and the Cyclops Brutes, it makes putting significant damage on the army at range very difficult.  Being able to sit relatively safely in the Krea's aura is great against shooty armies, since it takes a lot of pressure off me to engage them ASAP, which usually means on the opponent's terms.  Against non-shooty armies, the Krea still debuffs enemy Def within 2" of her, which is very useful most games, and shoots her Paralysis beam, which is sometimes amazingly helpful, but mostly a perk.

The Savage is a working utility piece.  It can cut through infantry like Molik or Makeda, but not as well.  It can stand in front of the list and jam/screen like the Brutes, but it's way more fragile.  It can put a serious dent in heavies (especially if Makeda is around with Vortex of Destruction), but it rarely wrecks one on its own.  In other words, it's a useful piece, but one whose job is often redundant because another model is in the position to do it better.  That's not to discount the Savage, but it might be better off as a dedicated piece, either support to help the rest of the list, or heavy hitter to make slugging against my second line a very tough prospect.

I'm mainly looking at alternatives for the Savage, but I'll also be thinking about the Krea's slot.

DrillbossD's Ideas:

1) Tyrant Commander and Standard Bearer (3pts) and Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor (2pts) in place of the Savage.

2) Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor (2pts), Extoller Soulward (2pts), and Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (1pt) in place of the Savage.

I've chatted with DrillbossD a bunch on the Skorne forum and in the comments here about Makeda 3 and the Brute list.  He's been running option 1, while he's currently experimenting with option 2.

The first option gives Makeda's unit a lot more flexibility with the Tyrant Commander.  Pathfinder when Battle Driven isn't active is good to have on hand, and the +2 Spd from Press Forward applies to both Makeda's normal move and her Fate Walker advance.  Orin adds some flexibility with Lightning, and gives Makeda 3 an important boost against Butcher 3.  With multiple Shield Guards, it's easy to keep Orin safe and shutting down spells, which makes the Butcher a much less threatening assassin.

The second option keeps Orin in the list, but adds the Extoller Soulward, who helps against a pretty broad set of matchups.  Anyone who blocks LoS with walls of forests or clouds won't be able to affect whichever model has Guidance, and handing out Magic weapons is good too.  The Gobbers are pretty great with Makeda 3 as well.  Their cloud can really double down on the resistance to shooting, and gives Makeda a place to Fate Walk behind where she'll be safe from most charges as well.

A third option would be to keep the Savage, but drop the Krea for an Extoller Soulward and Orin Midwinter.  The Krea is excellent support for the list, but against armies with few or no guns, it feels difficult to get the most out of her.  Meanwhile, the Savage nearly always contributes kills or screening.  I'm not as sure about this revision, since Paralytic Aura allows Makeda to march up at a walking speed against the Haley's, and not be softened up too much by the time she can get to grips with them.

Other Ideas:

Alternately, I've considered adding a little more heavy hitting power to the list:

1) Titan Sentry (9pts) in place of the Krea and Savage.

2) Aradus Soldier (9pts) in place of the Krea and Savage.

3) Aradus Sentinel (8pts) and Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (1pt) in place of the Krea and Savage.

The Sentry is the tankiest option, and can join the Brutes on the front lines.  Locker would add a lot to this list's overall durability against Warbeasts and 'jacks, since it's very hard on those without Reach.  The Sentry is much more durable than the Brutes, and has a much higher damage output, which would let it join them on the front lines, and potentially hit back hard.  It has Reach, so it can also benefit from the Beat Back/Dance of Death combo, but it will probably need to spend a lot of its Fury buying attacks if it does.

The Soldier is a more offensive option than the Sentry.  It starts in AD, has a pretty respectable threat range with Reach, and is super resistant to shooting and free strikes with its Carapace.  Since it has Reach, it can also smash its way through infantry with Dance of Death and Beat Back, and at Mat 6, it's a lot better at it than the Sentry.  It bring additional tricksiness with Pull.  The combination of Beat Back and Pull allows for some potentially awesome positioning tricks, including sucking a heavy into the rest of the army while allowing the Soldier to retreat back behind the Brutes.

The Aradus Sentinel brings a heck of a good gun, and can keep certain 'casters honest with it.  It also starts Advance Deployed, and is very resistant to shooting itself.  Swarm is also a fantastic Animus option for Makeda 3.  Getting to Def 17 against living models makes her that much harder to kill, and she's already one of the tankier 'casters in the game.  The downside is that it's pretty lackluster in melee, and that Swarm is a little redundant with Concealment from the Swamp Gobbers.

Those are my main ideas for now.  There are other options I've considered, but these are the standouts for me.  I'd love to hear any thoughts anyone might have, as well as experience with this and similar lists.

Stay tune for Steamrolling with Makeda 3 Part 2: Partners

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! And really looking forward to the Partners article, since the release of Steamroller 2015 has left me really wonder who I will bring her with. Currently leaning Rasheth, but I'll save that for comments on the next article.

    I think this is a great breakdown of the roles each model plays in the list. I haven't done too much of using the Brutes to block the middle, which seems like a really good thing to keep in mind against melee infantry.

    Of the heavy swap options, the most interesting one to me is the Soldier, actually. The Animus skornergizes with the feat, which is a bummer, but the Pull shenanigans seem exciting. Makeda's lack of a Mat buff makes me less interested in the Sentry. Sentinel I'm not sure. You should of course try them all if you can.

    I have yet to try the Savage. Savage/Extoller/Midwinter and dropping the Krea sounds like the best option into Cryx, and since I want Mak3 to cover Cryx, I'll need to consider it. A Guided, Rushed Savage is some legit melee spot removal. The doubled-down anti-shooting of Gobbers and Krea is really fun, though, and I will definitely give that a few more runs at least before comprehensively reporting back.

    One thing I've liked about Makeda is that the games always feel alive until the end. Her aggression often pushes attrition or scenario to a situation that invites the enemy caster or heavies out into the open, at which point the gang goes to town.

    I sent along my first cliffnotes that correspond to the first games I played with her on the PP forums. They're pretty rough since the games were so far in the past, but they'll get better as they are more recent. I'm still far from an expert on Mak3, but she is technically my most played warlock and I think the richness of my understanding of the games has improved significantly over time. When I clean them up, I'll post them on the forums with pics since I have images of most of the games.

    Again, thanks for the shout out. I really look forward to continuing this brainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm looking forward to it too. You have a lot of good insights on the list. I'm glad you picked it up.

    I've played the Brutes in the middle a couple of times now. It's usually dictated by scenarios and the opponent's positioning. They're fast enough to get out ahead of the list no matter where they're needed, so I usually deploy them on the flanks, then either swing them out to either side, or run them in (usually up near the Krea)

    I'm also most intrigued by the Aradus Soldier as a replacement. It seems like it has nearly everything the list wants in a 4th heavy. Starting in AD also opens up list deployment a lot, and gets the Aradus on the same line as the Brutes turn 1, and about where the heavies want to be turn 2.

    Makeda 3 games are live until the end. Even when she's getting down on attrition, there are plenty of ways to swing the game back, and she herself does a huge amount of work. It's awesome.

    I'm going to get some games in with the variants, and post the short versions here as well as do up reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally had a chance to try the pMakeda Mammoth build that Watt rocked at TempleCon last year. It's pretty sweet, and I think it'll work decently well as a pair with the Brute Squad. It specifically is meant to perform well against Legion and Circle and with the gun + recursive screen can keep control casters very honest.

    Specifically, a Mammoth build in general forces Cryx players to think very hard about whether they are going to drop one of the Dennies. But of course, this is better left for the pairing discussion. I'll have my other Mak3 notes to you in the next few days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Really looking forward to reading them.

    Watts' pMakeda Mammoth list is a lot of fun to play, and it does make a pretty good pair. It's solid against most Cryx, Circle, Legion, Mercs, and Cygnar. The only change I'd make is to possibly replace the Nihilators with Swordsmen or Keltarii. It will definitely get a mention in the pairing discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really torn on that substitution. For Mak1, it seems that Keltarii or Nihilators is the way to go due to Reach making a better screen. The better command on Keltarii is nifty. The Keltarii are the defense/utility option, while the Nihilators have way more damage potential as well as Tough. Tough have very powerful synergy with Makeda's feat and is more likely to help versus Beasts and Banes than Keltarii stats, but meh, hard to know without table time. I think I'll be testing Nihilators vs. Keltarii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually see Keltarii being a more offensive option tactically than Nihilators, which probably makes Nihilators better in the Mammoth list. I still haven't tried them out, but I can see Savagery being incredible with them. The Makeda 1 + Mammoth list leans so heavily on the Mammoth for late game damage that Tough and the ability to run effectively in waves while keeping the offense alive might make Nihilators the better unit for it though. I definitely need to put Keltarii on the table myself though.

    On topic, I played your Makeda 3 list with the Tyrant Commander and Orin, and it was fantastic. Orin kept Abby 2 honest with Null Magic, and it really hit me how much I miss having Press Forward on Makeda. I can definitely see that becoming my standard list. The report will be up in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: the Keltarii, responses on Facebook included the following:

    "I've tried it and think it's much better than nihilators. They play a slightly different role though. They won't kill anywhere near as much stuff, but can be extremely annoying to deal with. In the games I've gone first with it, most of the time I had some keltarii blocking the enemy caster from moving into the killbox turn 2. It's magical."

    "...they remained relevant the entire game. With defender's ward they are so strong. Nihilators will still threaten heavies and slaughter infantry but the keltari are truly a supreme tarpit"

    Re: TyComm and Orin,

    Awesome! Glad to hear you enjoyed that build and that it made sense in the Abby matchup. Press Forward really turns Fate Walker up to 11 so I'd like to hear what you did with it. I haven't gotten a Mak3 game in since my round against Butcher a few weeks ago, so I'll be continuing to test my Extoller/Gobbers package. In the interest of intellectual honesty I really ought to try the Savage sometime, too.

    The combo of Gobbers and Aggy/Orin just seems so supreme for denial, and the Extoller won me my last two games so I'm a bit attached. I've been thinking, though, that the Feralgeist could work okay, because an Undead Minion Brute can still take free strikes and use Shield Guard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Now I'm really looking forward to trying them out. If I don't like them as much with the Mammoth, I might have to run a more traditional Makeda 1 list with Marketh and TyComm for infantry support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking about what a Willbreaker does for Makeda. The Bad: it encourages jank. The Good: it makes jank a lot safer, makes Combo Strike Charge pot-shots from Molik wayyyy more dangerous, and Ancillary Attack has incredible synergy with Vortex. In fact, if you have Vortex and Krea animus on the target of the attack, that is almost an extra fully boosted attack. Need to think...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Willbreaker is really good with Makeda. It was one of the unfortunate casualties when I swapped Nihilators out for Brutes, and I do miss both Puppet Master and Ancillary Attack. Puppet Master in particular is great on a Karn assassination that needs him to hit with one of his initials, or for giving Makeda a better shot at killing everyone under the Eliminator Template.

    Muffinman's Makeda 3 list that he's had good results with is:

    Makeda and the Exalted Court (*2pts)
    *Molik Karn (11pts)
    *Titan Gladiator (8pts)
    *Cyclops Brute (5pts)
    *Cyclops Savage (5pts)
    *Cyclops Shaman (5pts)
    *Basilisk Krea (4pts)
    *Basilisk Drake (4pts)
    Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
    Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (1pt)
    Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor (2pts)
    Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)
    Agonizer (2pts)

    It seems like it can make a lot of use out of all the Willbreaker's abilities. I really like the potential for the Krea/Drake team to get turned up to 11 by Vortex/Paralytic Aura/Willbreaker. Ancillary Attack with the Drake's Eyelaser is no joke, especially if all the damage rolls are boosted. I've never tried it, since I like the Bronzeback and Brute jam a lot, but this list has some fire support that I'd really like to have access to.

    Come to think of it, replacing the Savage or TyComm/Orin with a Drake and either Swamp Gobbers or more Paingivers might be a real option with Makeda 3. This list has me using the Krea very aggressively, and that means a Drake and VoD can really unlock her melee potential. I can definitely see this over the Savage, since it replaces a melee utility light with a ranged one (and a few more options), but I'm less sure about sacrificing Orin's good matchups. Still, I'm going to try it. The Drake is such a good beast, and I don't use it nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete