Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Wednesday Battle Report: Makeda 3 vs. Borka 2 - 75pts

Here's the game I played last Friday.  I wanted to try out the bug version of my Makeda 3 list, and Caleb had some Trollblood lists he was interested in trying.  We decided to do a Steamroller-esque pairing, and drop what we thought would work best.

My two lists were the Hexeris 2 list I played in this game, which I like a lot, and the following Makeda 3 list:



Makeda and Exalted Court (*24pts)
*Molik Karn (20pts)
*Aradus Sentinel (16pts)
*Aradus Sentinel (16pts)
*Titan Gladiator (14pts)
*Cyclops Brute (8pts)
*Cyclops Brute (8pts)
*Agonizer (7pts)

Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (5pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (5pts)

The basic plan is to jam and screen with the Brutes, use the Sentinels to shoot so the opponent has a little less control over the pace of the game, and use the 4 heavies plus Makeda herself to get work done once I get into melee.  The list has decent defense against shooting, with the Sentinels at Arm 23, and 4 Shield Guards in the list, and can put out some meaningful shots against living models.  With Makeda's Feat and Hand of Death, it should have some game into infantry swarms, and the Brutes might let it trade reasonably well against some types of 'jack spam.  There are definitely a few lists that still throw it for a loop (in particular, hard control, which the Sentinels don't fully mitigate), but it seems like it has a decent number of answers, and poses some interesting questions.  We'll see how this game goes.

My opponent, Caleb, brought Calandra 1 and Borka 2, and in the end, decided to drop the following list.

Borka, Vengeance of the Rimeshaws (a.k.a. Bearka)
*Rok
*Troll Axer
*Troll Bouncer
*Storm Troll
*Night Troll
*Trollkin Rune Bearer

Fell Caller Hero
5 Whelps

Long Riders (Leader and 2 Grunts)
Kriel Warriors (Leader and 9 Grunts)
*Command Attachment (Piper and Standard Bearer)
Kriel Stone Bearer and Stone Scribes (Leader and 3 Grunts)
*Command Attachment (Stone Scribe Elder)

This looks mostly like a jamming and attrition list.  With Borka's Feat, any of the lights or the one unit with Snow Shroud (likely the Kriel Warriors) can make for a very strong jamming force that many of the more 'jack and 'beast heavy lists won't dare to attack.  Meanwhile, any of the lights can get work done with Primal and Stone Strength, and the Long Riders hit pretty hard as well.  Rok is the main finisher.  There's a decent scenario game on the strength of the jam, and and a solid personal assassination from Borka as well if he can get the enemy 'caster knocked down, which he has a couple ways to do.


Scenario and Deployment

We rolled up Linebreaker, which gives each player an objective 18" up the center of the table, and two flags 12" away from the objective on either side.  You score 1 CP for destroying your opponent's objective or controlling one of your opponent's flags, and 2 CP for dominating one of your opponent's flags.  Needless to say, this is a hard scenario to win by points, and most games will go down to attrition or assassination.

I won the roll-off, and chose to go first.  I wanted to get my Brutes and Aradi into controlling positions early on, and set ranges so that Caleb's stuff would have to come to me.  Caleb picked the table edge with slightly more open deployment.

I deployed the non AD portion of the list in a pretty basic line, with the Brutes on the ends, the Gladiator and Molik just inside of them, and Makeda and her unit in the middle-ish.  The Agonizer and Paingivers went in the second line.



Caleb deployed his Kriel Warriors in the center right opposite Molik, and the Long Riders on the far right, ready to do some flanking.  Most of the battlegroup went in the middle with the Krielstone.  The Fell Caller went on the right to help the units, and the Rune Bearer went near Borka to help out.



For AD, I decided to load up my left flank with the Aradi.  There wouldn't be much infantry screening there, and I could start pumping shots at Caleb's beasts directly, hopefully pressuring them into counterattack range.



And so it began.


Skorne Turn 1

The Gladiator put Rush on the leftmost Aradus, and Trampled up behind the house.  Makeda cast Hand of Death and Rush on the second Aradus, and Vortex of Destruction on herself.  Then she gave her unit a Press Forward order.  She charged at a Kriel Warrior, and the Exalted ran.  Everybody else ran.  The Aradi claimed ground on the left, the Brutes got into forward positions near the house, and Molik got ready for backup duties.  The Agonizer ran toward the Aradi.  The Paingivers managed some excess Fury, and I was done.



I'd given Caleb something to think about, and he had a couple different directions he could go with his approach.  I was hoping to funnel him around the house one way or the other, and adjust my stuff accordingly.


Trollbloods Turn 1

The Kriel Warriors ran forward, while the Long Riders and Night Troll ran around the right flank.  The Axer Rushed the Storm Troll, and advanced.  The Storm Troll ran up very close the to the house, and Rok and the Bouncer ran into supporting positions.  The Rune Bearer advanced, and used Harmonious Exaltation on Borka.  Borka advanced, cast Battle Charged to give the trolls some control with Counter Charge, and put his remaining Fury on the stone.  The Stone used Warding Aura, and ran behind the Kriel Warriors.  The Fell Caller ran to support the Kriel Warriors.



Caleb was using the house for cover here. His plan would probably be to jam me with his Feat next turn, and hit me with his best shot while I couldn't deal with his models effectively.  I'd have to get some damage done at range, and then set myself up to deal with whatever he threw my way.


Skorne Turn 2

Makeda upkept both spells.

The Aradi jockeyed for position a bit, and both shot the Storm Troll.  One did a good chunk of damage to the troll, while the Grievous Wounds shot was Shield Guarded by the Bouncer (which lost its body).  The Storm Troll popped out a Whelp to help it heal up for next turn.

The Brutes moved up into reasonable screening positions, with Safeguard up.  Makeda moved behind the corner of the building where she could charge out in either direction, and the Exalted Guardians moved to help screen the angles.  Molik and the Gladiator moved into sheltered positions behind the screening models, and the Agonizer used Gnawing Pain, and walked behind the Aradus module.



I was playing it pretty conservatively, but I had the advantage in that kind of game.  Caleb's list didn't have a lot of shooting to answer mine, and to start scoring the scenario, he would have to come to me anyway, so there wasn't much reason for me not to hang back and play attrition.


Trollbloods Turn 2

Borka upkept Battle Charged.

The Fell Caller advanced, and gave the Kriel Warriors Pathfinder.  They charged over the wall, damaged the Exalted Guardian on the right, and missed the Cyclops Brute with a 4-Troll CMA.  The Longriders walked their mighty bison forward into a slightly more threatening position.  The Night Troll repositioned a bit.  The Stone ran up with Stone Strength and Warding Aura.

Rok advanced, and put Primal on the Storm Troll, which charged the Cyclops Brute on the left.  It did a bit of damage, but the Brute's natural resilience and the Agonizer's Gnawing Pain were enough to keep the Brute mostly intact.  The Bouncer repositioned to Shield Guard as needed and be healed next turn.  The Axer ran to post up behind the house and threaten counter charges.

The Rune Bearer used Harmonious Exaltation on Borka.  Borka advanced, topped off the stone, and cast Snow Shroud on the Kriel Warriors (giving them Concealment and Immunity: Cold, then popped his Feat.  Everyone in Borka's CTRL gained Stealth, and if I hit any model with Immunity: Cold (for example, the Kriel Warriors or any of the Warbeasts) with a melee attack, the attacking model would be stationary after the attack was resolved.



This coming turn would be a pretty low damage one for me.  My Brutes and Makeda could do work with Safeguard up (since it makes them immune to Stationary), but everyone else would be twiddling their fingers a bit.  That was fine, as I'd baited out Borka's Feat early.  If I could set myself up pretty well defensively, I had a really good chance to pull through on attrition.


Skorne Turn 3

Makeda upkept Vortex of Destruction, but dropped Hand of Death.

The Agonizer used Gnawing Pain.  The left Paingivers moved up, and Enraged the left Brute and one of the Aradi, and Conditioned the Fury off the Agonizer.  I also positioned one of them so Makeda wouldn't be pushed away from the Storm Troll when she tried to kill it.  Makeda and the Court activated.  The Court shuffled around a bit, and Makeda cast Safeguard, advanced to within melee of the Storm Troll, killed it, then used Blood Boon to cast Fate Walker, and Repositioned back to her corner.*  The right Paingivers Enraged the right Brute, which cast Safeguard, and killed 3 Kriel Warriors.

The rest of the list shuffled around a bit to screen other models and adjust to Caleb's new threat ranges, and that was it.

*A closer look at the attack sequence in Appendix A(yaayyyyyy!) reveals that the active player's effect has to take place first, then the inactive player's.  This means that I would have resolved Blood Boon (replacing Safeguard), and then Borka's Feat would have taken effect, rendering Makeda Stationary.  I believe in MkII it was active player's choice, and that's how we played it here, with me choosing to resolve Borka's effect first, then Blood Boon.  Next time, we'll know.



I'd weathered the worst of Borka's Feat, and was reasonably well set up.  I could take a bunch of damage on my next turn, but probably not much on anything critical.  On my next turn, I could counterattack if Caleb committed, or keep shooting and advancing if he tried to play it safe.


Trollbloods Turn 3

Borka upkept Battle Charged, but dropped Snow Shroud, since it had done its thing.

Caleb committed on the right.  The Fell Caller gave the Kriel Warriors an attack bonus, and they went after the Brute.  They did a little damage, and also killed a Paingiver who happened to be in harm's way.  The Kriel Stone used it's Aura and Stone Strength, then ran to screen Borka.  The Long Riders charged in at the Brute, and did a bunch more damage, but did not kill it.

Rok advanced cautiously, and put Primal on the Axer.  The Axer advanced and Threshered, killing the Exalted Guardian on the left, and doing a little more damage to the left Brute.  Despite using the rest of its attacks on the Brute, it didn't take out any spirals.

The Bouncer ate a Whelp to heal, and posted up in the familiar spot behind the house to delay my advance on the left flank.  Borka shifted around a bit, and topped off the stone.



I'd come through that turn mostly intact, and now it was time to get back to work.  I could probably do for most of the infantry jamming me on the left, and I could certainly kill the Axer on the right, and that would probably be enough to give me a definitive attrition advantage.


Skorne Turn 4

Makeda upkept Vortex of Destruction.

The right Paingivers shuffled around, Enraged Molik, and killed the Kriel Warrior who'd Repositioned into melee with him.  Makeda advanced around the house, cast Hand of Death on Molik, and used her Feat.  Her Exalted Guardian killed a Kriel Warrior, and she killed a Long Rider with her initial attack, and used Blood Boon to cast Eliminator at another Kriel Warrior.  She hit, but it Toughed, so she just cast Fate Walker, and went back to her corner.

Molik went next, and finished off both remaining Long Riders as well as all but one of the Kriel Warriors, the used Fate Walker to reposition back behind the Brute.

The Paingivers on the left Enraged the Gladiator and one of the Aradi.  The Gladiator advanced, and killed the Axer.  This freed up the Brute to run to Caleb's uncontested left flag and start putting some scenario pressure on.  The Aradi took out Rok's body and most of his Mind with their attacks, but Stumbling Drunk sent him careening into the woods - no longer in position to attack on the next turn, but also contesting Caleb's flag.  The Agonizer used Gnawing Pain.



I was in a very dominant position now.  Caleb had virtually noting left to play attrition with on the right, and was down to a damaged Bouncer and out-of-position Rok lined up against 3 heavies on the left side.  I'd pushed to the max this turn, so I'd probably face a couple Frenzy checks on the upcoming turn, but I was pretty sure that if I kept playing it cool, I could force Rok into my heavies with shooting, start scoring on the left flag, and push on to victory.


Trollbloods Turn 4

Borka upkept Battle Charged.

The Night Troll charged Molik, and did a little damage.  The Fell Caller charged the right Brute, and took out its Spirit.

Caleb spent a little while considering how to deal with the left flank, and decided to concede.  I had a pretty big advantage on attrition, and it was only going to get worse from here.



Victory to the Skorne!


Thoughts

I played a really solid game (apart from misplaying an important rule), and was able to use my superior shooting to force Caleb's list around the central house to meet me on my terms.  Makeda was a force in the middle of the table, and anchored both sides of my lines really well.  I've been pretty down on the new Fate Walker, but it was crucial in keeping both sides in Makeda's CTRL and working together.  Putting both Aradi on the left side of the table was a bit risky, since there was a chance Caleb would swing right with everything, and they wouldn't be fast enough to make it back into the game.  It ended up paying off, and the Aradi did plenty of damage, and held down my left flank with some help from the Gladiator and Makeda, and they kept damage on Caleb's beasts all game.

I mentioned in Friday's First Impressions post that this list has clicked the most for me with Makeda 3 out of everything I've tried with her.  The ranged attacks add a crucial ability to stand off and control the game a little bit, while the two Brutes can do a lot of defense.  Overall, the list felt a lot more cohesive than my previous efforts, although both Caleb's list and the scenario were pretty good for it.  I'll be experimenting with this list a bunch going forward, and find out whether it performs as well in general as it did in this game.  It's nice to have a place to use my Sentinels.  While my hopes remain high that PP will turn Acidic Touch into a real Animus in the next errata, the two Sentinels did good work in this list, and I'll at least keep using them here.

Caleb said after the game that he played too cautiously, and I think that's probably true.  If he'd committed all his lights and Rok on Borka's Feat turn, he might have been able to swamp my left flank.  I probably had the hitting power to hold, especially if I repositioned Makeda there to help out, but it would have been pretty tricky.  Rok and the Axer combined could have done a number on my lines, and it might have gotten really messy.  Caleb's other option was to completely reposition to the right side of the table, and take my Aradi out of the game for a turn or two while they repositioned.  The risk was that I'd start scoring his left flag, but if he threw his beasts in behind the Kriel Warriors, Caleb might have been able to kill Molik, and force me to try to backtrack my force around the house and my objective or lose on scenario.

I'm not wild about Caleb's list.  He said he wanted to try something of a light beast spam, and I think it would be good to go further in that direction.  If  I were in his shoes, I'd try putting in another Bouncer (which seems to fill the same role as the Cyclops Brute in my list, and fudge the rest of the points around to max out the Long Riders, maybe fit in Fire Eaters, and maybe fit in another heavy (probably a Mauler).  No idea where the points would come from besides the Kriel Warriors.  That list would be very different.  A lot brickier, with a lot more power from the Feat, but it would lack the jamming presence of the Kriel Warriors.  I don't know Trolls well enough to know how well that list would work on the table.  I do know that in this game, the Kriel Warriors didn't do anything besides die, and the beasts could have used more backup from other beasts to deal with my attack on the left side of the table.

As always, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment