Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Life without Tartarus

So, the last leg of the War-Torn Alliance leagues is upon us. This time around Cryx is allied with Retribution, I assume thanks to Goreshade? I don’t own a mage hunter unit which is really too bad because pDenny + MHSF would have been absolutely hilarious. I also, uh, don’t own a unit of Bane Knights, so I can’t use their new UA. And since their UA replaces Tartarus, well, I can’t use him at all. Oh, and I’m trying to become less reliant on the Satyxis Raiders, so I won’t be running them for a few weeks either. Crumbs.

But that’s ok. Cryx has plenty of other excellent infantry, some of which I even own. And Bane Thralls don’t need Tartarus. Tartarus just gives them replenishment, accuracy, and speed. So, how can I replace him? Normally I run min Banes + UA + Tartarus; now I’ll just go max Banes + UA. Slightly cheaper and it gives me the numbers for attrition. To replace Tartarus’s accuracy buff I’ll take a caster who helps with hitting. That means either Denny or either Skarre (don’t have 3Gaspy yet). And while I can’t boost my troops’ speed, I can slow the enemy down to a crawl with pDenny. My current level of “pDenny guilt” is low, so I’m not going to feel bad about taking out my favorite girl.

Ok, so now my list looks like this:

pDenny
*Nightwretch x2
*Skarlock
Bane Thralls x10
*UA

(I typically take two Nightwretches and a Skarlock with pDenny for what I hope are obvious reasons.)

While pDenny is an incredible debuffer, I’m not convinced of her ability to control an entire enemy army on her own (outside of her feat turn, of course). So I want some more control/denial in here. On a lark I’m going to include a Desecrator. I’ve never used this jack before, but the free focus for hanging out near Banes and the 4” aoe scather gun make me think it has a place in this list. A brace of Pistol Wraiths will let me control heavies and assassinate Scourged casters, and two Sirens for anti-infantry duty. The final 35 point list looks like this:

pDenny
*Desecrator
*Nightwretch x2
*Skarlock
Bane Thralls x10
*UA
Pistol Wraith x2
Warwitch Siren x2

I’m still a little worried about threat ranges, but hopefully my stuff will be stealthy and/or sturdy enough to make it’s way up the board. We'll see how it goes tomorrow next time I get a game in.


Laters.

No comments:

Post a Comment