Thursday, September 13, 2018

Short Battle Report: Thagrosh 2 vs. Zaadesh 2 (75pts)

We're doing a pod tournament in the Twin Cities meta, which is nice because it means that I can schedule games with each opponent at a sedate pace of once per week.  I often can't play tournaments because I usually work on Saturdays.

This week, I was matched up against Brandon's Legion.  I played:

Lord Tyrant Zaadesh (*28pts) - Imperial Warhost
*Bronzeback Titan (18pts)
*Aradus Soldier (16pts)
*Titan Gladiator (15pts)
*Titan Sentry (15pts)
*Titan Sentry (15pts)
*Basilisk Krea (0pts)
*Agonizer (0pts)
*Agonizer (0pts)

Siege Animantrax (17pts)

Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (7pts)

Scenario schmenario?  This list will have trouble scoring round zones, and can only score flags with Zaadesh, but it has a very strong attrition game, and a lot of extremely fun warbeasts plus the Siege Turtle.  Hopefully, between all the beef and Zaadesh's defensive tech, I'll be able to contest what I need to and push through on attrition.

I played against:

Thagrosh, the Messiah (*25pts) - Primal Terrors
*Typhon (20pts)
*Carnivean (18pts)
*Scythean (16pts)
*Ravagore (16pts)

3 Spell Martyrs (3pts)
Bog Trog Mist Speaker (4pts)

Blighted Ogrun Warmongers (8pts)
*Gorag Rotteneye (6pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warspears (9pts)
Hellmouth (0pts)

This is much different than the last Primal Terrors list I played against.  Thagrosh 2 is a very cool warlock.  I thought last time that Zaadesh might have the tools to tangle with Primal Terrors.  I guess we'll find out.



The scenario was face-off.  I won the roll-off, and chose to go first.

I deployed in a fairly centrally, with the Animantrax on my right flank.  If needed, I could pivot my brick to the center-left to keep the left circle contested while the Animantrax held up the right circle.  The game plan otherwise, was essentially to take out the Hellmouth ASAP then out-trade Legion as best I could with the heavies I had available.

Brandon deployed his beasts centrally, and put a unit of Ogrun in front of either round zone - Warspears on the left and Warmongers on the right.  The Spell Martyrs spread out, while Thagrosh and the Mist Speaker went in the middle.

I Advance Deployed the Aradus centrally since I wasn't sure where I'd need it.  Brandon deployed the Hellmouth behind the central forest, where it could threaten well into my half of the table from out of sight.

Round 1

I advanced toward the table center.  Zaadesh put Battle Charged on himself and Inviolable Resolve on the Aradus Soldier.  My other warbeasts posted up behind the Aradus and the objective to prevent drags.  The Animantrax advanced to just beyond the edge of the right zone.

Brandon advanced to just behind the woods with his Carnivean and Scythean, with Typhon fairly close by.  The Ravagore walked, and shot at the Animantrax for some damage.  A tentacle charged the Aradus, and ended up triggering a counter-charge from the left Sentry.

Round 2

I was in range to get an alpha strike in on the Legion beasts.  Zaadesh upkept both his spells.

The Gladiator Rushed the Aradus, and attacked a jamming tentacle.  Various models cleared the way for Zaadesh, who Rushed both Sentries and Feated, and the Paingivers, who Enraged the Aradus and the painted Sentry.

The Aradus advanced, and destroyed the Hellmouth and the Carnivean.  The painted Sentry charged and killed the Scythean, then used Ornery to gain Retaliatory Strike.  The primed Sentry trampled and used Ornery.  The Animantrax had line of sight to the Warmongers, and was able to wipe them out between tail attacks and shooting, then it repositioned back into Zaadesh's control range to gain Defensive Strike.

Brandon ended up taking a bunch of damage on his own turn, and conceded the game when his Ravagore lost 2/3 of its health before making any attacks.


Thoughts

Brandon made some mistakes, and I was able to capitalize.  It's a game I'd be interested to replay when he's feeling a little more focused.  I've played against his Cygnar several times, and he's usually much better about checking distances and blocking his opponent's moves.

Zaadesh was able to contend pretty well with a single Hellmouth.  I'd be interested to try him out against two.  The angles might not be manageable with only one heavy and the Animantrax being immune to pulls.  If I can make it work, then I might start to feel like I can play this list into the Anamag list that had me so wrongfooted a month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment