Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Battle Report: Mordikaar 1 vs. Anamag 1, 75pts

Hello!

Sorry for the unannounced 2-week-long hiatus.  I had the GRE last Saturday (the 25th), and I was deep in the Study Zone.  I spent most of this past week regenerating my mental powers.

I went to a tournament on the 18th, as I said I might.  However, I was sick that morning, and ended up bowing out after the first round, so I'll just give the report from that battle.



I played

Void Seer Mordikaar (*29pts) - Masters of War
*Despoiler (19pts)
*Titan Gladiator (15pts)
*Archidon (10pts)
*Archidon (10pts)

Tyrant Rhadiem (9pts)
Extoller Soulward (3pts)

Praetorian Ferox (Leader and 4 Grunts) (20pts)
Praetorian Swordsmen (Leader and 9 Grunts) (13pts)
*Command Attachment (Officer and Standard Bearer) (0pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (5pts)
Tyrant Commander and Standard Bearer (0pts)

My opponent, Dave, ran

Anamag the Doom Feaster (*27pts) - Primal Terrors
*Blightbringer (32pts)
*Harrier (3pts)
*Ammok the Truth Bearer (4pts)

Warmonger War Chief (5pts)
3 Spell Martyrs (3pts)

Chosen of Everblight (Leader and 4 Grunts) (20pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warmongers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (13pts)
*Command Attachment (Gorag Rotteneye) (0pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warmongers (Leader and 4 Grunts) (13pts)
Blighted Rotwings (Leader and 5 Grunts) (7pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (2pt)
Hellmouth (0pts)
Hellmouth (0pts)

I've never played against Primal Terrors before, but I've heard it's quite powerful.

Dave won the roll-off, and chose to go first.  He deployed a unit of Warmongers on either side, and the Blightbringer and Chosen more toward the middle.

I put my Ferox and on the left flank, my Swordsmen and both Archidons toward the center right, and Despoiler, the Gladiator, and Mordikaar in the middle, along with the beast and infantry support.



Dave put one Hellmouth foward to threaten the left zone, and one Hellmouth as far back as possible for its tentacles to perpetually contest my flag.

Round 1

Dave ran everything forward aggressively.  The Chosen got +2 armor for one of Anamag's spells.

I ran up a little, put Hollow on the Swordsmen, and Feated with Mordikaar.



Dave had said something before the game about absurd Mat fixing, but I was hoping it wouldn't be absurd enough to kill off my swordsmen.


Round 2

Dave continued advancing with the bulk of his infantry.  The Blightbringer killed a couple Swordsmen with a blight blast, and the Chosen charged in and accounted most of the rest.  Between Carnage and the Def debuff from Gorag the Chosen were Mat 11, and they had no trouble hitting everything they aimed a weird draconic appendage at.



Various models, including several Swordsmen, the Archidon, and Despoiler managed at long last to kill off the one Chosen jamming me.  Mordikaar Revived 5 Swordsmen to hold off the remaining Chosen for another turn.

The Ferox advanced, and attacked the left Warmongers.  They managed to kill one.



Well, I was in a bit of trouble now.  I had accomplished almost nothing, and I was looking at another turn of damage like the last one.


Round 3

Dave wiped out the Swordsmen and Ferox, and killed the Archidon and Despoiler.

I looked around for some kind of last ditch assassination, but Anamag was too well defended.  I scored a point for controlling the left zone, but then I decided to concede.



Victory to the Legion!


Thoughts

That was pretty brutal!  I'd also brought a Zaadesh list, which might have fared better.  I'll try that next time.  Hilariously, my Makeda 3 list would've been able to deal with the Chosen quite well by swapping Grievous Wounds around.  I still feel like I'm better off overall sticking with Zaadesh.

I ended up dropping from the tournament at this point.  I was feeling sick, and had a bye for the next round and a test coming up in a couple days.

Dave played a very good game, and forced me into a bad spot by keeping scenario pressure up and using all the tools he needed to counter mine.  I've got to work out how to deal with Anamag.  I'll see if I can make Zaadesh work next time.  I also like Jalaam quite a bit, since he's got Grievous Wounds on his gun.  Maybe Mak3da will get some love in the CID.

Basically my expression after that game.

No comments:

Post a Comment