Tuesday, September 5, 2017

I Hope You Enjoyed Your "Labor Day," Mortals

For there is no such day in the Nightmare Empire!  The baleful light of the forges of Skell never dims, and their clangor never quiets!

Ahem...

As I said last week, I'm starting up Cryx in a very casual JML with a few good friends.  I don't know Cryx as well as I know Skorne, or even Retribution, but they're cool, and I felt like trying something new.

Why Cryx?

Mostly, I really like their look.  They have some of my favorite models in WarmaHordes, and I have been having a lot of fun painting them so far.  In particular, I like the necromechanika look.  Zombies with machine parts, robots with bone parts, ghosts with pistols, it's all great.  I also like some of the core mechanics in Cryx.  Debuffing enemies is fun, and using the souls of slain enemies as robot and spell fuel is awesome.  Cryx should also play quite differently from both Skorne and Ret, which will be great when I want some variety.

My list so far:



I'm probably the most experienced player in this JML, and we have some newbies, so I'm not going to go for the most powerful list I can field; instead I'm just picking things that seem cool.  First up, the battlegroup.

Agathia is very cool because she's holding a battle axe one-handed like it's no big deal, and her dress is made from the souls of the damned.  I've decided to stick with her throughout the JML, partly because of how awesome she looks, but also partly because she's not actually that good rules-wise.



I'm a little disappointed with the way her skin turned out, and I don't think I did her dress justice, but I really like the way the Soul Cages look.  I also decided to have a little fun with the bits of her base not covered by her dress, and give her a green slime surface to stand on, and I like that too.

The Warjacks are all cool, and I'm pleased with the way they turned out.  This is my first real attempt at basing (I'm using green stuff and a set of molds I found at Tower Games with a "sketchy dockside" theme).  It looks pretty good, although I still have a lot of room for improvement.



My first addition (up to 10pts) is Canker Worm.  Sure, it already does most of what Agathia gives models, but that just means it doesn't need her support, right?  Besides, look at this model!  How cool is this metal-eating robot death centipede?!  I also think I did a really good job on it.  It's definitely among the best-looking models I've painted.



To take me up to 25pts, I can add units and solos, so I decided to add one of each: a full unit of Carrion Thralls and a Pistol Wraith (still in progress).  I already said I like the necromechanika look, and Carrion Thralls definitely have that.  I also read Sabriel when I was a kid, and never really got over gore crows, which are basically these but without the tiny boilers and necrotite glow.  Pistol Wraiths are some of my favorite models, and have some great fluff (as far as I remember).  I decided to go with ghostly blue instead of green for this one, and I think it fits in alright.  I decided on a swamp theme for the bases on these models instead of a dockside theme, and I also think they fit in ok.  I'll probably stick to those two as I experiment with basing going forward.



I'm not really sure what I want to add next.  I'd like to add another character 'jack, and/or something else with a soul taker mechanic, so I'm considering Malice or a Harrower.  I also really like the Warwitch Siren and Soul Hunter models.  Any recommendations would be welcome, although I may tone it down if it seems too mean for newer players.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment