Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Battle Report: pMorghoul vs Mohsar 25pts

Co-blogger Caleb and I got a game in over the weekend for our slow grow league.  Here's how it went down.  Further discussion in the comments.  Enjoy!

PGrexy:

I was running my usual pMorghoul list for 25pts.

Master Tormentor Morghoul (+7)
*Titan Cannoneer (9)
*Titan Gladiator (8)
*Cyclops Savage (5)
*Basilisk Krea (4)
4 Paingiver Beast Handlers (2)
Agonizer (2)
Extoller Soulward (2)

This list has some good durability with the Cannoneer's Diminish and the Agonizer's Gnawing Pain, and it has very high damage output against warbeasts between Enrage and Abuse.  It's also pretty maneuverable with Abuse and Rush, and has some ranged options with the Titan Cannoneer's gun.  After a couple games with this list, I'm really liking it.

Caleb:

I decided to give my Mohsar list a crack after picking up the Warpwolf Stalker the other week.

Mohsar the Desertwalker (+5pts)
* Gnarlhorn Satyr (8pts)
* Warpwolf Stalker (10pts)
* Woldwarden (9pts) (proxied by Megalith, as my Woldwarden isn't based yet...)
Druid Wilder (2pts)
Gallows Grove (1pts)

Compared to my pBaldur lists, this list is possibly overcompensating a bit to deal with enemy heavies/that damn cyclops savage. The wilder is a nice addition to give out either Lightning Strike or Bounding as it's needed, and the Gallows Grove means Mohsar can keep himself farther back and still threaten a pretty big area. Mohsar's spell list is practically tailor made for Geomancy, so I couldn't help but put a Woldwarden in there (Between Crevasse and Curse of Shadows, I see a lot of geomancy going on this game). The downside to this list is that it has very little ranged that can effect his beasts, and I'm relying on the Stalker to kill both heavies -- the Gnarlhorn can knock them around and head butt them a bunch, but when it comes to sheer killing power (especially against all the shenanigans he can and probably will put up around that Cannoneer), he's quite pillow fisted.


Deployment:  pGrexy won the roll off, and decided to go second. 


Caleb: The board looks pretty even - I've got a nice forest to hide in and some walls to block my approach, but he's got that hill for the Cannoneer. I figure he'll also be angling to my left to take advantage of those walls and plop his Cannoneer on the hill. I decided on a pretty straightforward setup - Satyr on the right to slam anybody coming around those walls, Stalker in the middle (Prowl = awesome) with the Wilder between to start slinging some animi, and the Woldwarden on my right to do some counter-battery geomancy against Candice the Cannoneer.
   
pGrexy:  Caleb had deployed his forces in a pretty tight formation around Mohsar, so I mirrored him.  Morghoul has to run a fairly tight formation due to his low CTRL, and I'm fairly confident of my list's ability to win in a slugging match.  The Stalker can hit hard, particularly with Curse of Shadows boosting its damage, but the Wold Warden and Gnarlhorn will bounce off me if I'm protected by Diminish and/or Gnawing Pain.  My rough plan was to lure the Circle Beasts in with my cannon, and focus on taking them out, then finish Mohsar off when he has no support.


Turn 1:

Caleb: Right off the bat I figured out I'd erred - the Satyr was on the wrong side. I'd wanted the big goat going after the Cannoneer, but instead I'm going to have to keep him on the left and possibly intercept that savage. The Gallows Grove began it's slow, 5" plod up the field, hoping to be ignored long enough to get behind that far wall. Everything else advanced up to the edge of the woods, hoping that with a little extra DEF (or Stealth) from concealment the Cannoneer will miss. Mohsar put Mirage on the Gnarlhorn, cast Sunhammer on himself, and ambled forward as well. Not much to do now but wait....



pGrexy:  I advanced pretty conservatively.  Thinking I might be able to get a shot off at the Stalker in the woods, I used the Gladiator to Rush the Cannoneer, then Trample forward.  Morghoul Maltreated the Gladiator, Abused the Cannoneer, then transferred the remaining 3 Fury to the Agonizer, then advanced.  The Cannoneer advanced 8," and shot at the Stalker.  It was barely out of range, which was ok, since I'd forgotten about Prowl.  The Savage and Krea ran, as did the Soulward and Agonizer.  The Paingivers advanced, Conditioned the Savage and Krea, and Medicated the Cannoneer and Gladiator, healing them back up.

I would be in a pretty good position to advance next turn.  I was hoping to do some real damage with the Cannoneer, then bait Caleb's beasts in piecemeal.  I didn't have to worry about the low walls much because of Rush, but Caleb had no similar source of Pathfinder in his army, so the Gnarlhorn wouldn't be able to charge across them.  I was a lot more comfortable not having to soak a possible Grand Slam in addition to a Stalker charge.



Turn 2:

Caleb: The correct phrase at this point is "crap on a cracker" -- his beasts (including that glorified elephant-with-a-boomstick) are firmly entrenched on a hill, and I've got a good 14" of open ground and some walls between us. Thankfully, I have a solution - the liberal application of Pillar of Salt, and I do mean liberal. Mohsar paid the upkeep on both Mirage and Sunhammer, then ambled up and dropped 3 pillars right in front of the Cannoneer and Gladiator, blocking their advance/LOS, and essentially forcing my crafty opponent to deal with at least 2 of them before he could do anything meaningful (at least I hope). On my left, the tree continued it's sneaky advance, while the Gnarlhorn ambled around a bit to find a better position if the Gladiator or Savage decided to make a run on the Stalker next turn.

The stalker positioned himself for a good charge on the Cannoneer next turn, and the Woldwarden advanced up behind him for some curse-of-shadowsing when the time came. For some reason beyond my comprehension, I failed to put the Woldwarden's animus up, leaving the Stalker quite exposed... maybe it wouldn't be noticed?

pGrexy:  Caleb was seriously harshing my mellow with those Pillars of Salt.  Turn 2 is often when I do a lot of crucial positioning before charging in, and he'd blocked both my heavies with his pillars.  I activated Gladys, who Rushed herself, advanced, and destroyed the two pillars blocking Candes from advancing.  The Extoller advanced, and used Guidance on the Cannoneer, who aimed, and shot the Stalker for moderate damage, then used Diminish.  Morghoul cast Rush and Abuse on the Cyclops Savage, advanced, and Feated, camping 1 Fury.  The Paingivers advanced, Enraged the Savage, and conditioned the other beasts.  The Cyclops charged the Gnarlhorn, and killed it with 3 attacks!  This was much more than I'd hoped for.  I also ran the Agonizer out of Mohsar's CTRL because I forgot that Mohsar's Feat would prevent Morghoul from leaching, not just prevent his beasts from being leached from.

I was feeling pretty cocky at the end of Turn 2.  I'd killed one of Caleb's heavies, and prevented retaliation with Morghoul's Feat.  But I'd made a terrible mistake.  I had done nothing about the Gallows Grove, and by not Maltreating to camp a second Fury, I'd effectively left Morghoul hanging (see what I did there?).

Turn 3:

Caleb: 3 Attacks?! All it took was 3 Attacks?! You wretched little goat! (ok, in fairness, those rolls were pretty gross). My general fury at the Gnarlhorn (heh, puns...) was tempered by the fact that I had, indeed, noticed that my stealthy little redwood wannabe was one short hop away from Crevasse range of Morghoul. Mohsar leeched, dropped Sunhammer (I was going to need the fury) and I teleported the Gallows Grove forward, lining up along the wall and giving me a good angle on Morghoul. I activated the Woldwarden first, moving him juuuust a little forward and geomancied a Crevasse onto the Krea but failed to do much damage. Mohsar activated, popped his feat (why not, really?), maltreated the Warden, ambled forward just a smidge, and unleashed a boosted Crevasse on that little Skorne git -- it hit! The damage was lackluster, but I still managed to drag him down to half health, so a good start. The second boosted Crevasse also struck home (lucky rolls, actually...) but managed to flub the damage pretty severely, leaving Morghoul alive and kicking. Uh-oh.

Thanks to Morghoul's feat, there wasn't much for my Beasts to do - knowing it's going to result in a gladiator charging it, I moved the Stalker over to the Cyclops and ripped an aspect off of it with the sword. The Wilder proved it's worth by loading the Warpwolf up with fury for me to leech next round, and walked forward to hopefully distract the (probably frenzy-ing) Savage - an exciting, if somewhat lackluster, turn.


pGrexy:  Well, I'd barely survived that, and I needed a plan to kill Mohsar now.  He was empty on Fury, and Morghoul could not survive another turn taking multiple Crevasses.  I couldn't leach, so my Savage frenzied, but failed to hit the Druid Wilder.  Well, he'd earned a bit of a break.  The Krea, crucially, did not frenzy.  I advanced the Paingivers, and did some Conditioning and some Medicating.  The Krea advanced, and shot Mohsar with a Spiritual Paralysis, hitting him, and reducing him to Def 7.  The Extoller put Guidance on the Cannoneer, who blasted Mohsar with a mighty cannon ball for... 6 damage.  Well, I knew I'd probably need two hits.  My Gladiator Rushed herself, and advanced on the Warpwolf Stalker, planning to Double Handed Throw it into Mohsar... and missed with its attack.  Hmm....  Now for damage control.  The Gallows Grove had to die, so Morghoul Maltreated Candes, and charged it, burning his single point of Fury to finish it off.  He then Sprinted as far away from Mohsar as he could.  The Agonizer used Gnawing Pain, and ran forward to protect my Gladiator.

At this point, I was hoping that Mohsar couldn't get a decent Crevasse angle on Morghoul.  If he could, I'd probably die.  If he couldn't, I had a pretty good chance of killing Mohsar or his Warbeasts on my next turn.  Caleb wouldn't get another shot at Morghoul like this one - I'd be camping 2+ Fury every turn from now on.

Turn 4:

Caleb: The brave little tree was now mere kindling, but I still had a good shot - the problem was getting far enough forward to do something. Best bets at this point was to either do something about that Gladiator or move the Savage somehow. Deciding on the former, Mohsar leeched all the fury he could, cut himself for 1, and got ready. The Woldwarden made the first move, geomancyied Curse of Shadows onto the Gladiator and charged, doing some marginal damage but failing to knock out a single aspect. The Warpwolf Stalker followed, warping for strength and throwing every attack he could into the giant elephant -- but again, failing to kill it! For lack of a better plan, the Wilder clubbed the Savage, actually doing a point of damage or two but failing to do much else.

Mohsar was in a bit of a pickle now - he had no way around the two beasts in front of him (even with Curse of Shadows on the Gladiator, he couldn't quiiiiite get completely around/through it). But he had little other choice, so he maltreated the Woldwarden, moved right up to the Gladiator, and cast Crevasse on the Agonizer -- it did significant damage, but failed to kill it! No spray onto Morghoul! A second try also failed to even hit it. There was zero chance of Mohsar living through a thorough beat down by the Gladiator, so at that point we called the game.

Victory to the Skorne!

No comments:

Post a Comment