Friday, November 4, 2016

Retribution Brainstorming: Kaelyssa

Here's this week's attempt to return to tactics.  I've played Kaelyssa 1 a couple of times recently.  My first game is posted.  I'll probably add the second one at some point soon.  For now, I'm going to talk a little about what she does, and what I should put into her lists.  This is going to be a lot more scattered than my usual first impressions posts; it's as much a request for advice as it is my own tactics post though, so by all means, post whatever Kae-Tech you've amassed over the last couple of months.



Kaelyssa overall seems very toolboxy, and building a list for her is a lot about putting together the models that can complement her tools.  Between her Feat, shot types, and spell list, Kae can be very cagey, and answer a lot of the opponent's options.

So what's a good battlegroup for her?  In MkII, the Banshee and Phoenix (and Sylys as an attached model) were go-to's.  It feels like the Banshee is still a great fit, but the Phoenix is a lot less necessary.  Like, Kaelyssa doesn't hate to have an Arc Node, since it's always cool to land Backlash where you want it, but I don't know that I'd take an arc node heavy over the other options because of that.  Similarly, without a strong selection of offensive spells for Arcane Secrets, Sylys feels a lot less compulsory with her.  She does like to spend a bunch of her own Focus on shooting every turn, so 1 extra isn't bad, but it's hard to justify the 4pts just for that.

Discordia seems like a very good fit, and costs the same as a Phoenix.  Hypnos also brings an Arc Node, and already has Ghost Shot (so Phantom Hunter can go on other targets).  I also like the idea of doubling up on some of our 'jacks.  If you want to run a list with good denial against infantry, 2 Manticores seems like a good module.  If you're going for sniping, two Hydras backed by Phantom Hunter sounds terrifying.

Unit-wise, Sentinels are still really good with Kaelyssa.  I'm not sure what (if any) ranged unit I'd run.  Kaelyssa can give 'jacks some serious run-and-gun potential with Refuge, and it seems more interesting to me to use her 'jacks that way, and have a melee unit as a counterpunch threat that survives the approach thanks to her Feat.  The games I've played, I've run Battle Mages to good effect with Kaelyssa.  They like Stealth, and a little extra control can go a long way with her.

For solos, I'm intrigued by the potential to double down on running-and-gunning with Elara 1.  I also like Mage Hunter Assassins, since Kae can strip Focus and Fury off Warnouns.  Speaking of which, Eiryss 1 seems like a terror with her.  They can put Disruption and Stationary on a 'jack to straight-up deny it a turn.  They can seriously mess with opponents' Fury management, and if Eiryss can hit a Warcaster or Warlock with her Disruptor Bolt, Kaelyssa can let her battlegroup ignore LoS to the now-defenseless target.  Fun times.

I played Kaelyssa with stuff that I mostly had available before, but here's the Kaelyssa list I'm interested in trying when I get the models together and assembled.

Kaelyssa, the Night's Whisper (*29pts)
*Banshee (18pts)
*Manticore (14pts)
*Manticore (14pts)
*Sphinx (13pts)

Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios (7pts)
Arcanist Mechanic (2pts)
Arcanist Mechanic (2pts)
Arcanist Mechanic (2pts)

Dawnguard Sentinels (Leader and 9 Grunts) (18pts)
*Command Attachment (Officer and Standard Bearer) (4pts)
House Shyeel Battle Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (10pts)

So, four big 'jacks for heavy hitting, with the Banshee and Manticores adding in some control.  The Sphinx is mostly a cheap heavy, but it definitely helps out the Battle Mages at long range.  The Sentinels are backup armor cracking, while Kaelyssa, Eiryss, and the Battle Mages focus on control and getting me good trades.  The Arcanists are essential 'jack support.

This is mainly a control list, and it can be strong at assassination, attrition, and scenario with the tools it has available.  What it doesn't want to see is a list which can take out or ignore its control elements.  It does seem like it's a lot of fun to play, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Comments are always welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment