Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tournament March 22nd, Lists and Thoughts

There is yet another tournament coming up at Tower Games, and I'm able to make it out to this one.  I'd considered playing Retribution for this one, but I have just a little too much work to do in terms of assembling models if I want 2 balanced lists.  So I'll be playing Skorne.  Specifically, I'll be playing my current favorite warlock, Makeda 3, and the warlock I learned the game with, Makeda 1.

Both these lists are taken (to one degree or another) from the internet.  The Makeda 3 list is based on one by a PP Forum member who goes by Staks, and the Makeda 1 list is basically identical to the one Lord Tyrant Watt used at Templecon.  I suppose I should be ashamed for netdecking, but frankly both these lists look fun enough that I don't care.


Makeda and the Exalted Court (*2pts)
*Molik Karn (11pts)
*Bronzeback Titan (10pts)
*Titan Gladiator (8pts)
*Cyclops Brute (5pts)
*Cyclops Brute (5pts)
*Cyclops Savage (5pts)
*Basilisk Krea (4pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Agonizer (2pts)

I played a similar list (3 Brutes instead of 2 Brutes and a Savage) a little while ago, and had so much fun, I decided to try it for the tournament.  The reason I'm running a Savage instead of a 3rd Brute is partly because I could only find one other Brute for sale, and also partly because even though I am extremely lazy about painting, I prefer to play with painted models, and my Savage is painted.

The Brutes and Savage stand in for infantry in a jamming/screening role.  The Brutes typically need to be removed by a heavy hitter, which can be taken out by my heavies in the second line.  They're also good at standing around in zones if they opponent doesn't want to expose the kind of thing that could deal with them.  The Savage is a lot squishier than the Brutes, but it's also a lot better at offense.  It can do a lot of damage, especially with Makeda's Feat making it hyper efficient.

The rest of the crew  doesn't need much explanation.  Molik is too good not to take with Makeda 3, and the Bronzeback and Gladiator are both solid heavies that let her make the most of her abilities.  The Krea is there on top of the 4 potential Shield Guards in the list to shut down enemy shooting as hard as possible.  The Agonizer is there for the extra defense against enemy beasts and 'jacks.


Archdomina Makeda (*5pts)
*Mammoth (20pts)
*Cyclops Raider (5pts)
*Basilisk Krea (4pts)
Cataphract Cetrati (Leader and 5 Grunts) (11pts)
Nihilators (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pt)
Extoller Soulward (2pts)
Mortitheurge Willbreaker (2pts)

This is another brand new list for me.  I've played the Mammoth with Makeda 1 before, and it worked out really well, but I haven't tried this particular list out yet.  It looks very solid though, and it's inspired my to actually finish getting my Mammoth put together (mostly - some of the parts will be pinned on or left off until the whole thing's painted).

The Mammoth is going to be the workhorse - er - elephant...triceratops...thing, and gives the list a lot of flexibility.  The guns can do serious work against both infantry and heavies, and give the list a ranged element a lot of my Skorne armies lack.  It's also the list's finishing piece, since it does such good damage in melee too.  It can seriously threaten even heavies and colossi in melee, especially if they've softened up with gunfire or infantry.

The Cetrati are a very durable brick that usually takes some serious work to clear out.  They can shrug off Mammoth blast damage so they'll be good for screening it.  They're also surprisingly mobile with Makeda 1 due to savagery.  This list has them advancing 10" in Shield Wall, after which they can make attacks.  I debated swapping the Nihilators in the original list for Swordsmen, but I decided that with the Mammoth picking up so much of the anti-infantry load, I'd rather have a more dependable screen than offensive ability, and Nihilators bring that with Reach and Tough.


I don't have enough experience with these lists to know all my matchups yet.  Right now, I think Makeda 1 is a good drop against Cryx, Circle, Legion, and Khador, since the Mammoth's guns give me good options against those factions.  Makeda 3 will probably go up against Trollbloods, Convergence, and the Skorne mirror match.  The other factions are up in the air.  Either could handle Cygnar or Retribution, although I'm tempted to prefer Makeda 3 since that list is pretty shooting-resistant.  I like Makeda 3's list against Protectorate, but I'm not wild about stuff like Self Sacrifice shutting down her Feat, or spell immunity in general limiting her actions.  On the other hand, Makeda 1 has more tools, but Purification is not nice to her without Marketh around.


That's it, just more army lists.  I'll probably do some quick writeups of my practice games, and a full report of all my tournament games, probably by sometime in the middle of next week.  I always look forward to tournaments when I can play them, and I really look forward to writing the reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment